Broken Top Loop Hike - best route around Broken Hand

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
CrazyDayHikers

Broken Top Loop Hike - best route around Broken Hand

Post by CrazyDayHikers » August 18th, 2021, 7:27 pm

Hi Everyone,

We're looking to check out the Broken Top loop hike clockwise from Tam McArthur rim for the first time (and are all set with permits). We've read various accounts about the best route around Broken Hand. From what I can gather, it looks like the main use path skirts along the northern side of Broken Hand, but I've read some indications of a route on the South side of Broken Hand. Can anyone provide guidance on the various paths around Broken Hand and which is least sketchy?

Thanks!

Natasha

Charley

Re: Broken Top Loop Hike - best route around Broken Hand

Post by Charley » August 19th, 2021, 10:26 am

I did that loop last fall and I stayed on the North side of Broken Hand.

Typical trail conditions:
IMG_7297.jpg
IMG_7293.jpg
Directly on the north side of Broken Hand, if I recall correctly, was a section of trail that included walking over a talus field. I didn't get a photo of it, but it was rougher, rockier. It was easy to follow (I never questioned which way would head toward Tam MacArthur Rim), and I think I saw people doing it in trail runners (lots of runners up there that day!).

I can see on CalTopo that there's a route skirting the south side of Broken Hand, but I don't even recall having seen it when hiking. It's apparently longer, and from the first photo above it looks like it would merely spend twice as long going through the same kind of talus as the north side.
BHSS.jpeg
Have a great time! It was a very, very memorable trip.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

CrazyDayHikers

Re: Broken Top Loop Hike - best route around Broken Hand

Post by CrazyDayHikers » August 19th, 2021, 4:53 pm

Thanks! We did this today and took one of the lower routes on the north side of Broken Hand. We did a counterclockwise loop from Tam McArthur Rim to No Name Lake and then using the Broken Top Trail, FR 380, The Metolius-Windigo Trail, and back to Tam McArthur via the Rim Trail. Clocked in at about 20 miles.