Diamond Peak via Rockpile trail head, Marie Lake

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
PatrickL

Diamond Peak via Rockpile trail head, Marie Lake

Post by PatrickL » August 15th, 2021, 10:03 pm

I am looking to do a 1 night backpacking trip mid-september to hike diamond peak. Id like to camp 1 night in the area of Marie Lake, summit in the morning then head home. I see an entry for diamond peak in the field guide but no hikes listed for this location, nor an entry for rockpile trailhead or Marie Lake.

A few questions:
1. The field guide diamond peak page states the typical route starts at a sharp bend in the PCT at about 43.5047, -122.1425 but those coordinates a ways west from the PCT. I'm guessing like most peaks Ive been to you can poke around and get there - is the route somewhat obvious once you leave rockpile trail and get on the PCT? Or should we be prepared for significant route finding challenges?

2. How bad should I expect the bug situation to be if we camp near the lakes at that time?

3. Sounds like there is a fair amount of campsites in the area, should we expect much trouble finding a spot on a Sunday night?

4. Low temps in the 30s at night?

Thanks for any info.

Patrick L.

jime

Re: Diamond Peak via Rockpile trail head, Marie Lake

Post by jime » August 16th, 2021, 6:02 am

I did exactly what you describe on 9/09/2018.
Your GPS coordinates are correct. The climb trail leaves the PCT just after a sharp turn. Easy to find, looks like this -
IMG_0057.JPG
My track is blue on this map. Enough people go up here that you'll find various climb paths. Easier to follow the main path going up. Harder coming down. You can see that I drifted east coming down.
dia_pk_sm_map_09_09_2018.jpeg
Some people just bushwhack up directly from Marie Lake. A little shorter that way.

Bugs should not be a problem in September. They weren't for me in Sept 2018.
Camping shouldn't be a problem. We were the only ones at Marie Lake.
Yes, it does start getting cold over night at this elevation in Sept.
Enjoy your trip!

jime

Post by jime » August 16th, 2021, 6:02 am

Enjoy your trip!
Last edited by jime on August 16th, 2021, 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PatrickL

Post by PatrickL » August 16th, 2021, 6:44 am

Really appreciate all the info thank you!!

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 16th, 2021, 5:36 pm

Yeah, those coordinates are spot on; what made you think they were off?

I did Diamond Peak from Rockpile last year. On the way down, we descended the rocky ridge that goes southwest from the southern false summit (8421'), which was very doable. We were going to keep going all the way to the Diamond Peak Trail to make a loop, but my water-obsessed friend decided she wanted to go for a swim so we cut back over to Marie Lake. The forest was VERY open, so it was easy bushwhacking.

PatrickL

Post by PatrickL » August 16th, 2021, 8:01 pm

adamschneider wrote:
August 16th, 2021, 5:36 pm
Yeah, those coordinates are spot on; what made you think they were off?

I did Diamond Peak from Rockpile last year. On the way down, we descended the rocky ridge that goes southwest from the southern false summit (8421'), which was very doable. We were going to keep going all the way to the Diamond Peak Trail to make a loop, but my water-obsessed friend decided she wanted to go for a swim so we cut back over to Marie Lake. The forest was VERY open, so it was easy bushwhacking.
More great info I was wondering about the direct route between the summit and Marie Lake thank you, really appreciate it.

I googled the coordinates and the location appeard to be west of the PCT (screenshot attached).

Is there a reason there is no field guide for the trail/hike to the summit?
Attachments
Screenshot_20210816-205411.png

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 16th, 2021, 11:43 pm

Yikes, Google has the PCT about 1/3 of a mile too far east in that location. Use an OpenStreetMap-based mapping utility if you want correct trail data.

PatrickL

Post by PatrickL » August 17th, 2021, 6:33 am

Yikes indeed. I use backcountry navigator in the field, but I suppose out of lazyness I just googled the coordinates. BCN shows them as described. Wonder if people get into trouble trying to use google maps to navigate trails. Thanks again for the info.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210817-073131.png

bobcat

Post by bobcat » August 18th, 2021, 4:26 pm

PatrickL wrote:
August 16th, 2021, 8:01 pm
Is there a reason there is no field guide for the trail/hike to the summit?
Simple - no one has volunteered to put one in; we rely on people who might take the time to do it. If you want to write one up after your trip, I'd be glad to help you put it in.

PatrickL

Post by PatrickL » August 18th, 2021, 8:33 pm

Ha I guess I assumed you guys had done it all and wrote the manual on any hike in Oregon. I dont know if I could write something as good as what I see in the FG but I'd be willing to try (if I go - team is worried about what the smoke situation will be). Thanks!