West Fork Wallowa Ford - Question/Suggestions?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
djnorberg

West Fork Wallowa Ford - Question/Suggestions?

Post by djnorberg » August 1st, 2021, 9:32 am

I'm planning on heading to the Wallowas next week with my 17 year old and hiking to the Lakes Basin mid-week. I'm not too fond of fording rivers. I don't mind ankle or calf deep, but knee deep is where I start to consider turning back. It looks like there is no way into the Lakes Basin without fording. A few questions:

-Has anyone been up there in the last week or so? The most recent info I've found is from early July. The crossing between Six Mile Meadows and Horeshoe Lake was about knee-deep then, but I'm guessing water levels are substantially lower by now. Reports from previous years suggest it is often shallow and pretty easy. I'm wondering if that is the case right now.

-Is the West Fork Wallowa trail the best to consider? I've been reading on the Hurricane Creek, East Fork Lostine, and West Fork Lostine trails as options too. Would one of those be a better choice if I'm looking for easier fords?

Any suggestions or current info is greatly appreciated - thanks!

Aimless

Re: West Fork Wallowa Ford - Question/Suggestions?

Post by Aimless » August 1st, 2021, 9:50 am

djnorberg wrote:
August 1st, 2021, 9:32 am
-Has anyone been up there in the last week or so?

-Is the West Fork Wallowa trail the best to consider? I've been reading on the Hurricane Creek, East Fork Lostine, and West Fork Lostine trails as options too. Would one of those be a better choice if I'm looking for easier fords?
I forded the W. Fork Wallowa on Friday, July23 a bit higher up than Six Mile Meadow on the way to Frazier Lake. The deepest channel was about calf deep, maybe a bit over a foot of water. Unless there has been a recent thunderstorm dumping water in quantity, it should be very safe for you next week.

If you are genuinely worried about that W. Wallowa ford, both the Hurricane Creek or E. Lostine trails would require even shallower fords on the way to the Lakes Basin. The W. Lostine is also quite easy fording, but even further out of your way and not necessary. Have a great hike!

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » August 3rd, 2021, 10:56 am

The crossing of the West Fork Wallowa River by Six Mile Meadow is a very easy ford. At the ford point the water is very slow and little or no rocks to stumble on. Not vey deed either, but definitely a wet crossing. There used to be some logs to cross, but I didn't like that and just forded.

Higher up, closer to Frazier Lake is a wet crossing too. Faster water, with rocks in the river, but about calf high.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

djnorberg

Post by djnorberg » August 3rd, 2021, 7:35 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the information! We're leaning towards taking the East Lostine trail at the moment, just because it sounds like an amazing trail. Good to know that both are easy options!

drm

Post by drm » August 4th, 2021, 6:31 am

East Lostine is the more scenic approach to the Lakes Basin, with the views of Eagle Cap and the broad glacial valley after that initial climb. It just has that long and miserable dirt road to drive that is often terribly washboarded. The Wallowa River approach has a paved road and Wallowa Lake itself, though parking can be an issue at peak season, but the hike in is mostly forested with occasional views of the valley walls. And services in Joseph. Don't plan on doing a restaurant or buying any last minute things in the town of Lostine. You need to do that in Elgin if going up the Lostine.