Help me plan a 5-day Wallowa route

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
leiavoia

Help me plan a 5-day Wallowa route

Post by leiavoia » July 30th, 2021, 12:21 pm

I have 5 days to poke around the Wallowa Mts in August. I need your suggestions on planning a route.

I have previously hiked around the Lakes Basin area, Glacier Lake, Frasier Lake, and Anaroid. I'm looking to explore some other areas now.

I tend to hike around 6-12 miles per day. So total mileage should probably be around 30-50 miles.

Where do you recommend i go? What should i see?

Thanks for your input!

Bosterson

Re: Help me plan a 5-day Wallowa route

Post by Bosterson » July 30th, 2021, 12:41 pm

I would recommend going to the southern side. It's a little different, and is (used to be?) less crowded.

I think Cornucopia - Pine Lakes - Crater Lake - Imnaha - Cusick - Norway Pass - Cornucopia was one of the most spectacular trips I took down there. Cusick from that side is nontechnical, but if you didn't want to do that, you could go up Hawkins Pass and mess around on the far side or something. Or instead of going into Ashes Basin under the Cusick wall, you could instead go into the middle fork Imnaha and poke around before competing the loop over Norway Pass.

Main Eagle to Cached Lake / Needle Point to Traverse Lake to West Eagle to Boulder Park was also good, except the descent down to Trail Creek and back up to Wonker Pass was pretty grueling, and then the connector back to Boulder Park via the Fake (Creek) trail was a pain to try to follow when you're at the end of your trip. (But might be easier with GPS, which I wasn't using back then.) At the time I opined it would be easier to walk the 9 mi out on the road than do the Fake Creek connector...

East Eagle makes a popular loop around to the Imnaha via Horton and Hawkins passes, then out via Crater Lake and Little Kettle Creek, but is annoyingly popular and it takes you through the Lakes Basin. I think either of the loops above is preferable, and were more scenic anyway.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Aimless

Post by Aimless » July 30th, 2021, 1:14 pm

The southern side of Eagle Cap remains less crowded. I was just there doing a loop that included hiking down the S. Fork Imnaha R. from Hawkins Pass, then up the N. Fork Imnaha and over Tenderfoot Pass. I saw exactly zero other hikers from the moment I left the Lakes Basin Management Area at Little Frazier Lake on Friday afternoon until I 'd hiked halfway down the E. Fork Wallowa R. from Aneroid Lake on Monday morning. Yes. That's correct. Zero other hikers for an entire weekend! :shock:

Water was not a problem. Bugs were not numerous enough to be a problem. Trail maintenance was minimal, but the trails were passable. It was hot and there's no snow left anywhere; the fire danger is officially "Extreme" and not likely to fall below extreme for the next two months. :(

bobcat

Post by bobcat » July 30th, 2021, 1:22 pm

I just spent four days on a shortened version of Bosterson's Cached Lake Loop. I made modifications based on conditions (fire haze, hot and muggy, wanted to relax more). I went up to Lookingglass, Bear, Cayuse Lakes and then also "The Loop": Eagle Lake, Cached Lake, Arrow/Heart Lakes and down Bench Canyon Trail. Would have liked to add Needle Point and Pop Lake but the plan got modified . . .

It was during the past week, with a couple of people I met on the trail doing the "loop" clockwise (don't know why they picked that grueling Bench Canyon Trail to start out on); a party camped at Cayuse Lake; no one at Eagle Meadow except me.

Lakes, meadows, the Moonscape, views, etc. 31 miles or so. May post about this in a few days . . .

drm

Post by drm » August 3rd, 2021, 2:04 pm

I like all the suggestions above, but want to point out that to a large degree, uncrowded = no/few lakes (or off trail of course). The crowds go to the lakes. Hikes that follow creek valleys with few lakes tend to be how you avoid crowds, though there are some exceptions.

One area full of lakes that is less crowded than other lake-filled areas is the Bowman district west of the Lostine Road. You can make a loop with the West Fork of the Lostine via beautiful Copper Creek and a short road walk between trailheads (which you should do at the start of your trip, not the end), or just do an out and back in the northern part of it, but the loop length about matches what you're looking for.

The area doesn't have quite the views of the Lakes Basin, nor are granite walls quite as sheer, but that's why it doesn't get as many crowds. The charm of this area is a bit more personal and close-up and a bit less grand. It won't be as empty as the Imnaha River area, but it won't be crowded either.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » August 3rd, 2021, 2:25 pm

The crowds go to the lakes.

Rule number one for avoiding crowds, as far as my experience goes. Also, sounds carry over lakes, so you hear your neighbors. That's especially true when there's no wind. Creeks and rivers tend to make enough white noise to obscure the sounds of your camping neighbors. ;)