Hurricane Creek/Thorp Creek

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
PatrickL

Hurricane Creek/Thorp Creek

Post by PatrickL » July 23rd, 2021, 8:19 pm

Heading to Thorp Creek Meadows via Hurricane Creek TH next week. Anyone have any recent info on general conditions, water crossings, etc? Any info appreciated.

Thanks!

Patrick L.

bobcat

Re: Hurricane Creek/Thorp Creek

Post by bobcat » July 29th, 2021, 5:30 pm

This will be rather late, I'm afraid.

Sorry, don't know about conditions this year, but Thorp Creek is an abandoned trail. It was maintained (logged out) every year by an outfitter who took clients up there to camp in the meadow. I'll bet there was no maintenance last year because of COVID; I don't know about this year. Don't even know if that outfitter is still in business. You should still be able to find the trail because it is well-used. The most difficult part is right after crossing Hurricane Creek (definitely a ford) and finding your way through the brush to reach the main tread up the slope.

PatrickL

Re: Hurricane Creek/Thorp Creek

Post by PatrickL » August 1st, 2021, 7:31 pm

bobcat wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 5:30 pm
This will be rather late, I'm afraid.

Sorry, don't know about conditions this year, but Thorp Creek is an abandoned trail. It was maintained (logged out) every year by an outfitter who took clients up there to camp in the meadow. I'll bet there was no maintenance last year because of COVID; I don't know about this year. Don't even know if that outfitter is still in business. You should still be able to find the trail because it is well-used. The most difficult part is right after crossing Hurricane Creek (definitely a ford) and finding your way through the brush to reach the main tread up the slope.
Thanks, it was a great trip. I'll try and post a report soon.

For anyone heading that way the trail is still as described in the available literature and previous TRs by Brad and others. Two logs described by some still remain and make a pretty easy crossing over Hurricane (wading optional), Twin creek is basically a large hop-over (careful, that big log rolls!). Trail hunting required between Hurricane and Sacajawea Peak is intermittent (primarily as you note just after crossing Hurricane). Some trees (some burned and some not) across the trail to go over, under, or around.

Thorp Creek is flowing up in the valley but very shallow and warm in the mid afternoon at the north end (a warm drink of water after making that climb was a gut punch!), colder to the south and later in the day.

Patrick L.