Overnight Backpacking trip off HWY 20 not too far from Sweethome?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
JBG

Overnight Backpacking trip off HWY 20 not too far from Sweethome?

Post by JBG » July 17th, 2021, 8:53 pm

I'm taking my niece on her first backpacking trip, and we need to do it not too far from Sweethome. I'd like it to not be too many miles, but still feel like a good trip, and just one night.

I was looking at maybe Crescent Mountain, hiking in and finding a spot around the stream near the beginning, setting up camp and then finishing the out and back, spending the night, and then heading back in the morning.

I know a good view is a must as a part of the hike. I'd like to be able to do a loop, but Iron Mountain looks too busy and no water (?). I could probably do an 8 mile trip with a someone picking us up at the end, but a lot of those forest roads look pretty rough on the map, and I don't want our driver to spend an hour dodging rocks and giant potholes. With all the permits needed for the Mt Jefferson/Mt Washington wilderness most of the places I'm more familiar with aren't really available.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

cfm

Re: Overnight Backpacking trip off HWY 20 not too far from Sweethome?

Post by cfm » July 18th, 2021, 6:15 am

Crabtree Valley is awesome! I went back this spring and the roads are in good condition until the slightly rugged last mile. It is about an hour drive from Sweethome.
treehgugger.JPG
Crabtree Lake.jpg