Eliot Branch crossing conditions in July 2021?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
retired jerry

Re: Eliot Branch crossing conditions in July 2021?

Post by retired jerry » July 24th, 2021, 1:07 pm

yeah, but until then, when the glaciers are melting away, there'll be more flow

after the glaciers are melted, there'll be less flow. Still some from snowfall though

drm

Post by drm » July 25th, 2021, 5:26 pm

I still think they should copy what Olympic NP did on the Hoh trail. This could be done at the old rope crossing.

keithcomess

Post by keithcomess » August 18th, 2021, 4:55 pm

The rope ladder idea is a potential lifesaver (literally and figuratively). It seems relatively easy and a pragmatic solution.

As an aside, I'm somewhat perplexed as to why the TT was "officially closed" for years after the bridge washout but now, with the ascent/descent and crossing materially more hazardous, there aren't (as far as I know) any warning notices. I understand that the Forest Service is seriously constrained by lack of funds to repair the trail though.

walrus

Post by walrus » August 18th, 2021, 6:53 pm

Part of the problem is that the "new" trail was nearly obliterated over the last few years by people sighting and then immediately slithering down to the log crossing that is no more (or climbing directly up after, depending on direction.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » August 18th, 2021, 7:07 pm

Prime example why to not cut the switchbacks.

PatrickL

Post by PatrickL » August 18th, 2021, 8:23 pm

Does anyone still cross where the ropes used to be? I think I remember it was doable without them when I went through there back in maybe 2013 or 14. It was one of my favorite parts of doing the timberline trail actually. Ive gone through the new crossing once a few years ago it seemed out of the way and not as fun. If I do it again I would probably try to go the old way.

Brownbear

Post by Brownbear » August 19th, 2021, 4:06 pm

Looking to do the Timberline Trail at the end of the month. I’m planning on going CW, which had be finishing my 2nd day at Cloud Cap. Unfortunately this has be crossing Elliot in the afternoon. Should I re-plan my route? It seems like Elliot is really gnarly in the afternoon. Also, I’m hiking solo.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » August 19th, 2021, 4:22 pm

Such a dry snow year I doubt it. I’ve rock hopped it in the evening. YMMV.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 19th, 2021, 9:06 pm

PatrickL wrote:
August 18th, 2021, 8:23 pm
Does anyone still cross where the ropes used to be?
Yep.
PatrickL wrote:
August 18th, 2021, 8:23 pm
I think I remember it was doable without them when I went through there back in maybe 2013 or 14.
Descending the west side is a little sketchy, but probably no worse than the new route.

A nice benefit to crossing up high is that the creek is braided in many spots, so you can more easily rock-hop across. Eventually, near the glacier terminus, the canyon really flattens out nicely. The greatest struggle I've encountered up there is when it's cold, and spray from the creek freezes on all the rocks you want to step on. But of course when that's the case, it's quite likely you'll have the same problem at the lower (trail) crossing.

Another possibility is to cross the glacier at about the elevation of the Cooper shelter. That poses a different set of challenges. Advance research recommended, not a great impromptu route to attempt.

drm

Post by drm » August 23rd, 2021, 8:49 am

One thing to note about that crossing with the ropes is that it is going to vary from year to year. As time goes by, the loosest rocks fall off and it stablizes, getting easier. Then one of these years, a winter storm will cause a big flow which will undercut the sides and loosen everything up again, to go through the same cycle.

Next time I do the TT I will check it out first before doing the reroute. After all, you almost go right by it on the way down from the stone shelter (I always do it CCW). I didn't need the ropes last time I did it. But one of these years, it's going to get bad again.

Also I don't remember that the TT was completely closed. They closed that segment. They seemed to expect you to shuttle between Cloud Cap and one of the access trailheads to the west. Did anybody actually do that?