Timberline Trail

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Justtrynafly

Timberline Trail

Post by Justtrynafly » June 29th, 2021, 12:44 pm

Hey all, looking to go do the timberline trail in around a week, and am going to be avoiding the big blow down near Ramona falls. Other then that does anyone know what the rest of the trail is looking like currently? Are there any other sections that are just blasted?

Thanks

C.bluel

Re: Timberline Trail

Post by C.bluel » July 2nd, 2021, 6:19 pm

I am also planning on doing the loop around July 7th, it'll be my first time. I did see a lot of the snow melting off this past week which is a good sign. The ranger station mentioned that there was a section up by McNeil point that may have some blowdown. Was hoping to get some potential insight from some of you!

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » July 2nd, 2021, 11:05 pm

McNeil Point isnt actually on the TT, so it really depends on what was meant by "near". There is a separate side trail that heads up to McNeil Point.

C.bluel

Post by C.bluel » July 3rd, 2021, 9:43 pm

I am not certain if he meant at McNeil point itself, the trail, or by the junction of McNeil point trail and TT. Let's hope for the best!

evan503monk

Post by evan503monk » July 18th, 2021, 10:14 pm

What were the conditions like?

mjirving

Post by mjirving » July 19th, 2021, 9:26 pm

Definitely take the bald mountain segment once up
From the PCT alternate and then take the “cutoff” trail that connects that to the parallel timberline trail where they are closest and then head towards the McNeal area. I made the mistake of doing that bald mountain loop a week ago and the segment that my route avoids is like WWIII. Giant trees everywhere on the trail…a jungle gym…literally.

Mike