Which mountain am I looking at?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
-Q-

Which mountain am I looking at?

Post by -Q- » July 8th, 2008, 11:18 pm

Hi guys. I took these pics near the intersection of the Nick Eaton Trail and the Ridge Cutoff Trail. Which peaks are in the foreground? Thanks a bunch
Attachments
DSCN5770.JPG
DSCN5772.JPG

Don Nelsen

Re: Which mountain am I looking at?

Post by Don Nelsen » July 9th, 2008, 9:38 am

That's Waucoma Ridge in line with Mt. Hood. To the right is Wooley Horn Ridge with Tomlike Mt. behind it - you can pick out the rocky summit of Tomlike in the center on the horizon.

- Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

-Q-

Post by -Q- » July 9th, 2008, 10:37 am

Thanks Don. I wasn't sure if that peak was part of the Wooley Horn Ridge, or if it was possibly GreenPoint Mtn or Tomlike Mtn.

You mentioned that you can see Tomlike Mtn off in the distance. Which peak are you referring to?

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 9th, 2008, 11:20 am

-Q- wrote:Thanks Don. I wasn't sure if that peak was part of the Wooley Horn Ridge, or if it was possibly GreenPoint Mtn or Tomlike Mtn.

You mentioned that you can see Tomlike Mtn off in the distance. Which peak are you referring to?
On the right in your second photo is Wooley Horn Ridge in the foreground and Tomlike is the forested hill in the background that slopes slightly to the left. Centered in the middle of that, barely visible on the horizon you can see some of the summit rocks of Tomlike. Also, Chinidere can be seen to the right of Tomlike in your first photo and Indian Mountain is to the right of that hidden behind the fir tree. (Though most of Indian Mountain is hidden behind the ridgeline that runs north from Chinidere and connects to the Benson Plateau.)
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

-Q-

Post by -Q- » July 9th, 2008, 12:15 pm

Excellent, thanks so much Don!!. Being fairly new to Oregon I am still having fun trying to identify all the landmarks.