Timberline Trail

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Choure

Timberline Trail

Post by Choure » June 28th, 2021, 10:11 am

I was planning to backpack the Timberline Trail in August with my sons before they head off to college but it sounds like the trail conditions will make it a longer trip at the very least. Because we don’t have enough time to add days to our itinerary I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a 2-4 day pack trip somewhere nearby that we could do instead.

retired jerry

Re: Timberline Trail

Post by retired jerry » June 28th, 2021, 10:56 am

why do you say trail conditions make it a longer trip?

If you're talking about that section between Yocum Ridge and the Muddy Fork, you can take the PCT route instead. It's the same distance, a little less than 40 miles total

Charley

Post by Charley » June 28th, 2021, 11:10 am

The Loowit Trail around Mt St Helens is awesome and comparable to the Timberline Trail, though not quite as long.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

trailmasterp

Post by trailmasterp » June 30th, 2021, 11:15 am

You might also consider the loop around South Sister. A friend and I did the trip over four days several years ago and loved it. A link to my trip report is below, but you would need to check that the trails are all open following the fires last summer.

viewtopic.php?t=22338

Aimless

Post by Aimless » June 30th, 2021, 11:43 am

Whenever someone recommends a hike or backpack in Three Sisters, Mt Jefferson or Mt Washington wildernesses, it's a good idea to remind people that they are expected to start observing the new quotas put in place this year for the first time, by obtaining a permit online via Recreation.gov:

https://www.recreation.gov/permits/4675311

Permits become available on a rolling basis, starting seven days prior to the initial date of use. Since these are very popular hikes, it is advisable to get online as soon as your chosen date is opened up.