Mt. Margaret - Trail Questions

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
HeadWest

Mt. Margaret - Trail Questions

Post by HeadWest » June 15th, 2021, 8:31 pm

Hi All, 4 of us will be backpacking in the Mount Margaret Backcountry for 3 nights from 6/30 - 7/3. Our planned itinerary is:

0 - Norway Pass Trailhead
1 - Dome Camp
2 - Ridge Camp
3 - Snow Lake
4 - Norway Pass Trailhead

It will be our first time in the area (recent California transplant). Does anyone know about water access at Dome and Ridge camps? If there is not water nearby, where is the best place to fill up before proceeding to camp? Any info on trail conditions is also appreciated (snow, bugs, obstacles, etc.)

Thanks in advance and thanks to everyone who has posted trip reports here, making planning for this trip especially fun.

HeadWest

drm

Re: Mt. Margaret - Trail Questions

Post by drm » June 16th, 2021, 5:21 am

The Forest Service has maps for water for those two camps, see the links at https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/gifford ... ecid=41618

I don't think you should have any problem that early in the season. You probably will still have snow in some places, especially on the Lakes Trail since it is north-facing.

I assume you already have your reservations - how early did you have to make them?

HeadWest

Post by HeadWest » June 16th, 2021, 8:11 pm

drm wrote:
June 16th, 2021, 5:21 am
The Forest Service has maps for water for those two camps, see the links at https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/gifford ... ecid=41618

I don't think you should have any problem that early in the season. You probably will still have snow in some places, especially on the Lakes Trail since it is north-facing.

I assume you already have your reservations - how early did you have to make them?
Thanks for the info. That map is encouraging. I got my reservations at 7am on March 1 - right when they opened up. I tried for several other dates and camps first, but they went so fast, seemingly within seconds of opening, that I ended up with falling back to these dates and camps (not that I'm complaining).

HeadWest

Post by HeadWest » June 24th, 2021, 9:03 pm

Just talked to the folks at the Mt St Helens ranger station. They don't have any intel on water in the area, but suggested there might be springs near the camps. I think we'll haul water from probably Bear Camp, though hauling 2 nights worth will be interesting. Thanks for the info all.

AlpenGlowHiker

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » June 29th, 2021, 3:25 pm

Looks like you narrowly missed the heatwave (yes, I know it'll still be hot). Please writeup a trip report, especially if there is indeed water at those camps.

Enjoy your trip!

HeadWest

Post by HeadWest » June 30th, 2021, 5:12 am

AlpenGlowHiker wrote:
June 29th, 2021, 3:25 pm
Looks like you narrowly missed the heatwave (yes, I know it'll still be hot). Please writeup a trip report, especially if there is indeed water at those camps.

Enjoy your trip!
Yes indeed. The weather is looking pretty nice: https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... Nxt9MBHaEf