Access to Bull of the Woods Wilderness?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
RobFromRedland

Re: Access to Bull of the Woods Wilderness?

Post by RobFromRedland » June 11th, 2022, 3:22 pm

longboard16 wrote:
June 11th, 2022, 9:10 am
The FS cannot mitigate every single tree that might fall on a trail, road or campsite and the public always assumes some risk when using the forest.
I would agree with you but it appears the FS does not agree - they think they can make the forest "safe" and don't appear to want to reopen it until they consider it "safe". I would make your opinions known to the FS.

As for the 46 road segment that is a bit ambiguous at this point. I highly doubt you can make it down to 46 right now with the snow, but even if you could, I do believe it is still technically closed. But I could be wrong since as you said, those maps are terrible.

If you find out, please post here what you found out.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

longboard16

Post by longboard16 » June 11th, 2022, 4:55 pm

Yes I already contacted the FS as they had a open comment period about the closures and what people wanted and express my two cents. That comment period is now close but perhaps there will have another one. Your right about possible snow, although that should be rapidly disappearing. The Ollalie Lake store will be open for business on Tuesday the 14th so at least the roads to access that should be open.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » June 11th, 2022, 6:21 pm

I'm surprised they are opening - they must be plowing the road - this map with the modeled snow depths still shows quite a bit of snow in the Olallie area:

https://www.trailadvocate.org/MapViewer ... .gpx&o1=23

It also shows quite a bit of snow on 42 farther north, so maybe they are plowing it. If they do, it looks like you could go all the way down to 46 without snow. I'd love to know what the situation is - if that segment of 46 is indeed open. Even if it is it is most likely closed at the junction of 4690 - at least that is where it was closed last year.

I'm still hoping that the segment of 46 from Ripplebrook to 63 will reopen soon. The FS said they are handling that segment separately from all the other "hazard tree" work. Fingers crossed they can make it happen relatively soon. We are almost to the middle of June now!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » June 12th, 2022, 8:47 pm

All of 46 is closed past ripplebrook store now. It was briefly opened but closed due to the BOTW fire last year.

*Edit*
The FAQ on the forest service says it's all closed but I read the text of the new closure order:

"Ripplebrook Area Roads:
o FSR 46 is closed from Hwy 224 to approximately 1 mile south of its junction
with FSR 63.
• Olallie Lake Area Roads:
o FSR 46 is closed south of its junction with FSR 4690.
o FSR 4691 is closed.
o FSR 4220 is closed south of the Olallie Lake Resort."

Sooo.... definitely maybe kind of open? :lol:

longboard16

Post by longboard16 » June 30th, 2022, 3:54 pm

Today I got a chance to stop the Zig Zag Forest Office and finally talk to someone about what is open and what is not. My first question was about access to Laurence Lake to which the employee stated she did not know and to check to call or email the Hood River office, which is closed to visitor access. Later today I received confirmation message that foot access to Laurence Lake is open and legal, albeit it you have to walk in about two miles from the closed gate. She added that the culvert has been installed so you do not have to cross the creek. I would presume any trial access would also be open.

Secondly, I questioned access to the Collawash and she responded that there are some closures but if it is not on the closure map or the text closure order, then it is OPEN ago the public. We discussed accessing the open part of NF46 via Skyline Road and then going over Graham Pass to the Collawash and all of that is is outside the closure and thus per her legal to be in. Of course, open means as long as there is no snow, down tees, or slides. Based on that the North End of Rho Trail is open to the closure area and surprisingly so would the BOTW as it is not included anywhere on the closure map or text order. Perhaps a different FS person or law enforcement would have a different interpretation or one may come across a closed or no access sign after traveling a long distance, so feel free to check with the FS yourself. I’ll probably try to access some of that area in the next few weeks and can update further on what I see.