Backpacking Herman Creek

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Sarah

Re: Backpacking Herman Creek

Post by Sarah » June 9th, 2021, 6:42 pm

Completed the Herman Creek-PCT loop with a side trip up Chinidere on May 29th. I don’t recall much blowdown on Herman Creek except for one huge tree across the trail and a few other spots. More blowdown on the PCT until the northern end of Benson Plateau where the PCTA has been working. Snow started about half mile before Tomlike intersection. Had to navigate over to the PCT across the snow but it wasn’t too difficult.

erbombla

Post by erbombla » June 16th, 2021, 9:44 pm

Thanks for the update! The weather looks much better this weekend so we're planning to head out there Saturday-Monday. If there are too many folks at Wahtum, Mud Lake looks like a backup. We're thinking about spending two days there and attempt the jaunt up Chinidere. On Monday, we will hike out following the PCT.

drm

Post by drm » June 17th, 2021, 6:17 am

Mud Lake is nice but there isn't a lot of space there. I'm sure it will be used this weekend by who ever gets there first. Finding campsites on a sunny and dry Saturday can be a perilous thing with so many other low altitude places closed due to past fires.

suebabyshampoo

Post by suebabyshampoo » July 26th, 2021, 11:31 am

Sarah wrote:
June 9th, 2021, 6:42 pm
...I don’t recall much blowdown on Herman Creek except for one huge tree across the trail and a few other spots. More blowdown on the PCT until the northern end of Benson Plateau where the PCTA has been working.
We've (PCTA volunteers) cleared the PCT from Wahtum Lake northbound to the Eagle-Benson trail intersection as of yesterday; there are about two dozen logs left from there northbound to Teakettle, but none are blocking for hikers. Thankfully, this part of the trail missed the windstorm party of Sept. 2020 that flattened so many trees around the MHNF. The PCT across Benson is not yet suitable for horses due to some overhead or otherwise blocking blowdown.
A vegan yogini unicorn. I am the Princess of Perpetual Peace, playing in a drama of sad and happy dreams on the stage of eternity. https://empressofcascadia.com/

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » July 26th, 2021, 2:02 pm

Thank you. :D