Water Along Road 41 (GPNF)

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
RobinB

Water Along Road 41 (GPNF)

Post by RobinB » May 5th, 2021, 8:38 pm

Hi All! Been a while.

So I'm planning to hike from Bridge of the Gods to Silver Star via the PCT, Road 41, and Bluff Mountain, but water's kind of an issue or the last twenty or so miles. Anyone know if there are any easy-ish water sources on Road 41 between Mowich Butte and the Bluff Mountain TH? Seems like there might be something just east of Little Lookout Mountain, at the headwaters of Rock Creek (pictured), but I'm not sure how seasonal those streams are?
Capture.JPG
Thanks! Looking forward to actually, you know, writing a TR at some point soon :)

Chip Down

Re: Water Along Road 41 (GPNF)

Post by Chip Down » May 6th, 2021, 9:42 am

Interesting timing. The day you posted (5/5) I was actually there (east of your map detail, but on your intended route, west of PCT). As you can see, water was plentiful ;) .
But seriously, I don't know what might persist through the summer. When are you going?
Attachments
20210505_101838.jpg

RobinB

Post by RobinB » May 6th, 2021, 8:43 pm

Chip Down wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 9:42 am
But seriously, I don't know what might persist through the summer. When are you going?
Ha, thank you!

I'm trying to time it with prime wildflowers at Silver Star, meaning I'd guess late June this year? (Someone on Facebook mentioned a couple sources - a spring by the apparently appropriately named Spring Camp east of Little Lookout Mountain, and a piped spring at Fourth of July Camp southwest of Lookout Mountain - so things sound hopeful, even if the snow doesn't persist.)

cfm

Post by cfm » May 22nd, 2021, 8:51 am

I was in the area recently and passed by this nice hidden trail that is a shortcut to Mowich Butte from the PCT. I recommend you try it for kicks, it was pleasant and more interesting to be on the ridge. The shortcut is highlighted in red.
Mowichcutoff.jpg

jvangeld

Post by jvangeld » July 26th, 2021, 1:14 pm

RobinB wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 8:38 pm
Seems like there might be something just east of Little Lookout Mountain, at the headwaters of Rock Creek (pictured), but I'm not sure how seasonal those streams are?

Capture.JPG

Thanks! Looking forward to actually, you know, writing a TR at some point soon :)
For future reference, one of those headwaters of Rock Creek was still flowing onto, down and across road 41 on the 24th of July this year. I was surprised to see if after the dryness of this Summer. But there you have it.
Jeremy VanGelder - Friends of Road 4109