Why is Buck Creek-Wicky Shelter Loop Hike listed as not backpackable?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
TodF

Re: Why is Buck Creek-Wicky Shelter Loop Hike listed as not backpackable?

Post by TodF » May 5th, 2021, 6:13 am

AlpenGlowHiker wrote:
May 4th, 2021, 3:56 pm
TodF, try also using the "FreshSat - Cloud Free" layer. It's an updated satellite (low-res) image that can be used in conjunction with the Snow Depth layer.
I didn't know about that – thank you, it is really helpful!

TodF

Re: Why is Buck Creek-Wicky Shelter Loop Hike listed as not backpackable?

Post by TodF » May 6th, 2021, 7:43 am

I did my recon yesterday, and after traipsing all around the Wicky Shelter area for hours I found an excellent place about a mile from the Lower Buck Creek trailhead. Woo hoo! My wife can't complain about only a mile of backpacking! It actually has multiple options for us – the Ponderosa forest on the plateau above the White Salmon River, along the creek itself, or – the one I have high hopes for – the ridge on the west side of the creek canyon, which would require a strenuous uphill and carrying water up it, but may have nice open views and much more privacy.

I almost didn't even check that area out, because the main GaiaGPS map didn't show the feeder creek (unnamed on any of my maps) that the trail crosses, so I expected it to have no water. I have come to rely on that map because its trail positions tend to be much more accurate than any of the other maps, but clearly I need to look at FS and Nat'l Geo maps as well.

It was a relief to find this spot, because I saw a lot of people driving around. I suspect that a lot of people have identified that area as a likely car camping area, and I suspect there will be people camping anywhere there is road access.