Snow Info requested Re:Snowshoe in Bend Area this Weekend

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
sheilakpdx

Snow Info requested Re:Snowshoe in Bend Area this Weekend

Post by sheilakpdx » April 29th, 2021, 11:06 am

I am hoping to do some snow shoeing at the Edison or Swampy Lakes sno-park in the Deschutes National Forest on Saturday (doesn't have to just be those two but they are preferred over). I am trying to get some info on what the snow level is like. I used Adam Schneider's snow depth site and it looks like there is about 2' - 4' of snow in the area. But, if anyone has been there recently, any info would be greatly appreciated. Any reports I have found online are from around 4/9...I know the snow must be melting out - just wondering if snow shoes or micro spikes are in order....or should I just think of a hike to do in the area (any info on what is open for hiking is also appreciated! I am looking for something in the 10 mile range.)

I usually do my own research but am just not finding any recent info on conditions/snow.
I tried calling the ranger to get some up to date information but that is not going well at the moment....just recordings and send an email that may be answered in a few days.

Thanks for any information.

johnspeth

Re: Snow Info requested Re:Snowshoe in Bend Area this Weekend

Post by johnspeth » April 30th, 2021, 5:05 am

Weeks old snow reports should be good enough. Bring what you think you could need and then leave behind what you won't need when you arrive at the trailhead. It should be obvious when you arrive. The need for foot traction and floatation is highly variable this time of year and what's good one day (or hour) might not be good at another time. Variability depends on many recent local weather conditions (temperature, recent rainfall, cloud cover, etc).

Frequently check the closest web cams for a few days ahead of your trip. Mt Bachelor has an excellent one for you purposes.

This time of year, you really don't need snow shoes unless there is a major warming event or a big dump. What you will probably need is spikes for ice traction for at least part of the day.

gallione11

Post by gallione11 » April 30th, 2021, 6:21 am

The NF just posted an updated trail report:
For winter recreation, most SnoParks are out of business for the year. Ray Benson and SnoParks above
5500’ are the only ones with adequate snow coverage. Most trail and boundary snow poles have been
removed from the Dutchman-Moon Mountain area. Trail and boundary navigation can be difficult without
these poles. It is the responsibility of the user to know where they are. The Three Sisters Wilderness, Bend
City Watershed, and “Dutchalo” area are all CLOSED to snowmobiles and other motorized vehicles
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 907291.pdf

sheilakpdx

Post by sheilakpdx » April 30th, 2021, 11:01 am

Many thanks for the links.