One night backpacking trip in Late April suggestions

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Planetpdx

One night backpacking trip in Late April suggestions

Post by Planetpdx » April 16th, 2021, 10:12 am

Hey,

Can anyone offer some suggestions for low elevation, 10 mile in max locations for a one night stay? We are looking for a lake to fish, a site where we can have a small fire (hopefully cook the fish we catch), and away from the crowds. We also want to be within a couple hours of Portland. I have been thinking and researching Indian Heaven but it may still be snowed in. Jefferson Park has snow. Anything out through the Columbia Gorge maybe upper Deschutes? Or any small lakes that we could hike around and setup a few 1 man tents?

Thank you.

AlpenGlowHiker

Re: One night backpacking trip in Late April suggestions

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » April 16th, 2021, 2:02 pm

Indian Heaven will certainly still be snowed in; according to the sensor at Spencer Meadow (3400' elev) there is 66 inches of snow.

I'm not as familiar with the Oregon-based locations that you listed.

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » April 16th, 2021, 3:01 pm

Might be open: Herman Creek trail and the other side of it by Rainy Lake, Black Lake, North Lake, and Wahtum Lake. I've been down there mid-May, but not this early.

If you want a long drive for a short hike near Lincoln City: Drift Creek Wilderness / Horse Creek North Trail.

Salmon River may be partially open.

Lewis River is open. If you want to fish, this is your place.

Nearby Quartz Creek is probably open but may have difficult (life threatening) river crossings.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » April 16th, 2021, 6:10 pm

This list may be helpful: https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... ackpacking

Depending on where you go, a campfire may not be a great idea right now. Some areas are really dry.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » April 17th, 2021, 9:56 am

Most Portland area backpackers are more than ready for a quick backpack trip in April, but the sad fact is that 90% of the backpackable trails near here aren't ready for them, yet, unless they're equipped to camp in snow. :(

drm

Post by drm » April 18th, 2021, 7:19 pm

Yeah, any lake low enough to be snowfree in April has a road to it, not a backpacking trail. What you're looking for really doesn't open up in these parts till July most years. Then you've got the bugs . . .

There are some creeks and rivers, but I can't say which would be good fishing