Backpacking southern oregon PCT in late June

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
alexmessinger

Backpacking southern oregon PCT in late June

Post by alexmessinger » March 20th, 2021, 4:52 pm

We will be traveling to Oregon from Vermont for a wedding in Sisters in late June. We would like to backpack for ~10-12 days during the last week of June/1st week of July. We've heard that the southern OR PCT from Siskiyou Summit to Fish Lake might have a good chance of being snow-free during that time. To make the route longer could we extend south from there into CA at that time? Are there other areas that we should consider?

drm

Re: Backpacking southern oregon PCT in late June

Post by drm » March 22nd, 2021, 7:49 am

It's possible, but your best bet for early is in parts of northern California where the PCT gets very low altitude, like north of Redding. These areas are real hot in mid-summer when most of the PCT opens.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » March 24th, 2021, 11:18 am

I’ve done Ashland to Seiad Valley and Seiad Valley to I-5 both the week before the 4th and both snow free. It’s right on the edge though so not guaranteed, but probably likely. Ashland to Fish Lake is relatively low too but definitely not north of Fish.

gorgehiker

Post by gorgehiker » March 26th, 2021, 12:49 pm

This winter has seen a lot of snow in the north of the state and you might check out how southern Oregon/Northern California is doing. I have hiked over the 4th in the Marbles and the Trinity’s (California) and Red Butte Wilderness (Oregon and California) and usually the trails are open.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 26th, 2021, 1:03 pm

I've done trips in Trinity Alps at that time of year. Should be snow free. Very scenic area

A little bit of info on field guide https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... egon_Hikes