April 3-day loop recommendations

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
metal_ox

April 3-day loop recommendations

Post by metal_ox » March 9th, 2021, 11:22 am

Hi everyone, my partner and I are in Bend for a few months (Dec. 2020 through April 2021) and we're hoping to get out on a 3-4 day backpacking trip while we're here. We are from MN and don't know much about the area, but after doing some research on this forum, it seems like there will still be too much snow to do some of the highly recommended loops like Three Sisters, etc. We would love some suggestions for a 3-4 day loop (prefer not to shuttle) that would be enjoyably hike-able sometime in April. We are willing to drive up to 5 hours (from Bend). I'm less experienced and my partner is more experienced...so, we're willing to get a little weird, but not too weird :) Also, we'll have our dog with us.

Super appreciate any suggestions - thanks so much!

retired jerry

Re: April 3-day loop recommendations

Post by retired jerry » March 9th, 2021, 12:24 pm

I can't think of loops, but out and backs - Metolius River, Deschutes River, Rogue River

Look at winter and spring backpacking in field guide https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... ackpacking

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » March 9th, 2021, 12:34 pm

The best hike for April is the Wild Rogue River Loop:
https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... _Loop_Hike

30 mile loop, nice temps in April, steep ups and downs, lots of varied scenery: Dry canyons, old homesteads and mining operations, viewpoints with 1000ft drop-offs, deep forests full of moss and rhododendrons, piney meadows, lots of small waterfalls, and the famous Rogue River itself. Mid April is high-tide for Oregon Irises to bloom along the river trail. Water is cold but swimable.

Trailhead is a long ways down gravel roads, but i got there in my low clearance coup.

drm

Post by drm » March 9th, 2021, 8:21 pm

Loops are particularly hard early in the season because connecting the two sides usually means going over a ridge which will be snowed in. I would even be surprised if the Rogue Loop was snowfree that early, but it's not my area so others would know better.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 10th, 2021, 6:22 am

I did wild rogue loop February 2018, no snow

of course each year is different. It's drier there so less snow.

https://adamschneider.net/hiking/snow_depth.html

quite a bit of snow now

Charley

Post by Charley » March 13th, 2021, 7:49 pm

There are a bunch of potential hikes for you in the guide (thanks Jerry!). I'll call out one in particular: the Mill Creek Wilderness loop is a nice little trip. I did the loop in April of 2018 (there were brief, inconsequential stretches of snow at the upper elevations, and the trail was easy to follow). Be forewarned that a large amount of the area is burned. Luckily, there are still beautiful groves of ponderosa down on Mill Creek, before you enter the burned area (why can't I find any photos of those???).

https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... _Loop_Hike
IMG_6140.jpg
IMG_6143.jpg
june2012686.jpg
There's a bonus: if you plan the loop just so, you can camp at campgrounds and use the pit toilets! :D
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 14th, 2021, 6:12 am

I've been going there some in recent years. It will probably be melted off April 3.

Different climate than around here, a lot drier. Nice area.

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » March 14th, 2021, 9:58 am

I can’t but help thinking that you are looking for day loop recommendations to do on April 3rd every time I see this :lol:
- Michael