Question About OCT North from Cannon Beach

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
OneSpeed

Question About OCT North from Cannon Beach

Post by OneSpeed » March 3rd, 2021, 9:57 am

I'm looking at the Cannon Beach to Seaside traverse with one or no car. Seems to be bus service of some help from one town to another, though it would add another couple miles to the walk. My question, though, is this:

In going north from Cannon Beach, is there really no way to get to Indian Beach, or even Crescent Beach, without walking up the park access road? The obvious barrier is Chapman Point, which you would have to go over. But if you could do that, you'd be on Crescent Beach, and therefore the Ecola SP trail system.

So is Chapman private? Impassable? Both?

Looks like I could avoid some of that main road walk by cutting through the neighborhood from Les Shirley Park.

Anyway, info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Webfoot

Re: Question About OCT North from Cannon Beach

Post by Webfoot » March 3rd, 2021, 4:03 pm

The Field Guide reads "You can easily walk around Chapman Point, from Chapman Beach to Crescent Beach, at low tide."

https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Chapman_Point

cfm

Post by cfm » March 3rd, 2021, 7:59 pm

You can walk up over the top of the rocky headlands from the north end of Cannon Beach. There are user trails in shoulder high salal.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » March 5th, 2021, 9:04 am

Chapman Point itself is state land. Easiest is to time your passage at low tide and walk or even wade a little around the point at beach level. I do believe there's a steep and tricky (very eroded on the Crescent Beach side) scramble trail over the neck of the point. No idea if it's still doable.

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » March 7th, 2021, 8:36 am

Thanks, folks! I'll report back after I attempt it.

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » April 4th, 2021, 11:17 am

Webfoot wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 4:03 pm
The Field Guide reads "You can easily walk around Chapman Point, from Chapman Beach to Crescent Beach, at low tide."

https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Chapman_Point
Okay, so this I would like to hear more about.I know you're just quoting the FG, so I'm not asking you to explain or defend it. But I hope someone sees this who can answer.

I was at Chapman Point for a -0.8 tide and, yes, I got around it. No, I probably shouldn't have. And no, it was *not* an easy walk. Or even a walk.

I can share photos and videos, but I'd be curious to see/hear about people "easily walking" around this point at a low tide. I would particularly like to know how low that tide was!

I did the whole traverse, parking in Seaside and taking a bus to Cannon Beach. Blog post here.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » April 5th, 2021, 11:33 am

Hi Paul,

Now that you've been a guinea pig (for this time of year anyway), I'll perform the requisite alterations in the Field Guide.

The question of rounding the point, I realize, is dependent upon the seasons and sometimes individual storms, wind flows, etc. I did it once, in the summer. I don't think it was at the very lowest point of the tide and was ankle deep in the wash, but kept on the sand for the most part. I remember a couple of reports of others doing it "easily", they said.

That said, summer sand levels on Oregon beaches can be three or four feet higher (or more) than winter/spring sand levels. Also there are individual weather fluctuations at any time of year that can affect beach deposits. Also there are long-term patterns/trends - maybe there's no way you can go around Chapman Point any more, even in the summer!

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » April 8th, 2021, 9:32 pm

Interesting, thanks! I had no idea the sand levels fluctuate so much.