Trails looking for love

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
rubiks

Trails looking for love

Post by rubiks » February 28th, 2021, 5:23 pm

My trail to-do list is getting a little thin, especially for trails accessible this time of year.

To get that list back healthy again, I am seeking out trails that could use a little love and boot traffic to keep them in shape. Every so often I'll read a trip report for somebody's old favorite hike, lamenting that the trail has grown a little rough around the edges. Those are the trails I am looking for. The field guide has a list for Off The Beaten Track hikes, and some hikes I've looked through also have a "lost" designation. Those are a good start, but I suspect there are more trails out there that don't exactly fit either category but could still use some feet on the ground, for example some recently re-opened trails that were closed from the Eagle Creek fire.

I am based in Hillsboro, regularly drive up to 2.5hrs for a dayhike, and looking for hikes of any distance/difficulty. I appreciate any suggestions you wonderful people have. Thanks!
You know exactly what to do.
There's no need to be afraid.
Keep walking.

Webfoot

Re: Trails looking for love

Post by Webfoot » February 28th, 2021, 8:15 pm

rubiks wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 5:23 pm
I am based in Hillsboro, regularly drive up to 2.5hrs for a dayhike, and looking for hikes of any distance/difficulty.
One-way, or round trip?

rubiks

Post by rubiks » February 28th, 2021, 9:26 pm

Webfoot wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 8:15 pm
rubiks wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 5:23 pm
I am based in Hillsboro, regularly drive up to 2.5hrs for a dayhike, and looking for hikes of any distance/difficulty.
One-way, or round trip?
2.5hrs one way, 5hrs round trip. Should also add that I've got a car with enough ground clearance to handle all but the very worst forest roads.
Keep walking.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 1st, 2021, 7:34 am

I wonder if any of the Columbia gorge trails need help

Like, the Gorton Creek trail. Or the connector trails between that and Nick Eaton. Or Nick Eaton trail. Or Casey Creek trail going down to Herman Creek trail.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » March 1st, 2021, 12:37 pm

rubiks wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 9:26 pm
2.5hrs one way, 5hrs round trip. Should also add that I've got a car with enough ground clearance to handle all but the very worst forest roads.
That surely casts a wide net.

You could try Augspurger Mountain from the north. There are apparently trails to both Dog Mountain and Cook Hill from there, but I have taken neither. https://graphhopper.com/maps/?point=45. ... nStreetMap

Another I've only done part of, McCall Point via the eastern route appears much less traveled than the main route. https://graphhopper.com/maps/?point=45. ... nStreetMap

Barlow Ridge.

Maybe The Lost & Boulder Ditch, but see the fire map on page two.

rubiks

Post by rubiks » March 2nd, 2021, 9:09 pm

Thanks for the tips. A lot of the gorge is on my list anyways, so many trails affected by the Eagle Creek fire. Franklin Ridge for one, and I'm making plans to tackle a lot of the trails around Herman Creek.

Webfoot wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 12:37 pm
You could try Augspurger Mountain from the north. There are apparently trails to both Dog Mountain and Cook Hill from there, but I have taken neither. https://graphhopper.com/maps/?point=45. ... nStreetMap
That Augspurger route looks good. I've looked at Augspurger from the south TH but the Dog Mountain crowds keep me away.
Keep walking.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 3rd, 2021, 9:40 am

Here's a map of the rest of the Augspurger system. Both the Power line TH route and the South TH route could use some TLC. I've not been up there since the windstorm of last September but I'll bet there are a few new trees down on the trails.

I'll second the comment that the Gorton Cr. trail could use some love too. Up to Deadwood it's good, but with a few trees down. After that, it's a mess.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller