Whychus Canyon

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
acoulombe

Whychus Canyon

Post by acoulombe » February 21st, 2021, 9:24 am

Does anyone know if it is possible to hike from the Whychus Creek trailhead all the way to the Deschutes? Is there a use trail or is it impassable?

adamschneider

Re: Whychus Canyon

Post by adamschneider » February 21st, 2021, 9:36 am

If you mean the Alder Springs Trailhead northeast of Sisters, then yes, you can hike down to the Deschutes.

acoulombe

Post by acoulombe » February 21st, 2021, 9:45 am

No, I was meaning from the Whychus Creek / Rim TH, through the Whychus Canyon, past Alder Springs and then on to the Deschutes. Not sure if it is impassable (between the Whychus Creek TH and Alder Springs) or if there is private or preservation land you cannot pass through.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » February 21st, 2021, 10:21 am

Beyond the north end of the Rim Trail, the Whychus Canyon Preserve extends about 1.5 miles further along the canyon. But then there's another 1.5 miles of private land before you get to the Jefferson County line, which is where Crooked River National Grassland starts.

Whychus Canyon.jpg

acoulombe

Post by acoulombe » February 21st, 2021, 10:38 am

Thank you, that's what I was looking for. So it sounds like it might be possible, yet it is on private land, so not allowed.

Charley

Post by Charley » February 21st, 2021, 11:27 am

It looks like the privately owned Rimrock Ranch is downstream of the Whychus Canyon Preserve, between the Whychus Rim Trailhead and the Deschutes. That Ranch is apparently under a conservation easement, but one that does not allow public entrance for hiking. So, you'd be up a creek.

https://www.deschuteslandtrust.org/prot ... rock-ranch

I can see why you'd be interested though- this would make a great early season backpacking trip!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

goingrouge

Post by goingrouge » February 21st, 2021, 7:31 pm

Here is a story on why it is not possible in a kayak, especially underprepared. https://ridgemontoutfitters.com/blogs/l ... ry-idiots
That canyon gets really tight in many, many places, so walking it all seems ambitious.

acoulombe

Post by acoulombe » February 22nd, 2021, 6:21 pm

Sounds like an adventure. I guess that's why I ask questions before I just head out into the wilderness. :D

Thanks for the link...

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » February 23rd, 2021, 1:26 pm

goingrouge wrote:
February 21st, 2021, 7:31 pm
Here is a story on why it is not possible in a kayak, especially underprepared. https://ridgemontoutfitters.com/blogs/l ... ry-idiots
That canyon gets really tight in many, many places, so walking it all seems ambitious.
Entertaining.

Charley

Post by Charley » February 25th, 2021, 1:20 pm

acoulombe wrote:
February 22nd, 2021, 6:21 pm
Sounds like an adventure. I guess that's why I ask questions before I just head out into the wilderness. :D
There's a fine line in adventure- it's great not to know everything, but trip enjoyment and success often benefit from research and planning. Looks like you've figured out your sweet spot. :)
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.