Glisan creek / Ladd’s creek

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Openminded2

Glisan creek / Ladd’s creek

Post by Openminded2 » October 11th, 2020, 9:20 pm

So I see an inconsistency between the Timberline trail description and the Eden Park lollipop loop from Vista Ridge TH. The Eden Park loop states that you cross the lower Ladd’s creek then switchback up to Timberline trail, go left (east) then cross the more difficult upper Ladd’s creek. Is this the same creek (sometimes known as Glisan creek?) described in the McNeil point hike that one sees when looking spurring over the loud creek on the first bit of climb to McNeil point from Timberline trail? If so, why does the Timberline trail description say that you pass (Upper) Ladd’s creek at 17.3 then at 17.4, pass the Eden Park trail turnoff? Wouldn’t you then pass it again? (Lol)

It seems the Timberline trail descriptions are flipped because I might think many Eden Park hikers would have noticed and told you if they didn’t have to cross the upper Ladd’s creek (aka Glisan creek) as described on several trail descriptions, (Cairns basin and eden Park loop).

Alternatively might Upper Ladd’s creek/ Glisan creek is not the same Upper Ladd’s creek that is the upper bit of the Ladd’s creek we traverse in Eden park, below. Good grief are there two upper Ladd’s creeks?
It can’t be anything that a cup of tea won’t help

jime

Re: Glisan creek / Ladd’s creek

Post by jime » October 12th, 2020, 6:05 am

I don't remember the trail exactly, but this caltopo map may help.
Glisan Creek joins Ladd Creek well below Eden Park and becomes Ladd Creek.
edenloop.jpg

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 12th, 2020, 6:32 am

in the trail around mt hood

at mile 17.3 it says you cross a branch of Ladd Creek. This is what's called Glisan Creek in the above picture. Gaia calls it Glisan Creek. Caltopo calls it Ladd Creek. Whatever it is, it does join Ladd Creek below Eden Park, so it is a branch of Ladd Creek.

at mile 17.7 it says you cross another branch of Ladd Creek. This is confusing to have crossings of two different creeks with the same name.

If we call the first one Glisan Creek, it drains from Glisan glacier, so it's a name that makes sense. Maybe the name "Glisan Creek" was created relatively recently to resolve this confusion. Maybe it was created by someone on this website. That would be cool if that name has made it from this website to Gaia.

In the Eden Park from Vista Ridge hike (aka Eden Park lollipop) it says you cross Ladd Creek first. This is the same creek as mile 17.7.

I'll change the Trail around Mount Hood hike to change the name of Ladd Creek at mile 17.3, to Glisan Creek. Less confusing. Thanks.

Openminded2

Post by Openminded2 » October 12th, 2020, 7:06 am

Thanks Jerry, That would resolve the confusion, but why isn't the tougher cross, the upper Ladd's Creek on the map you posted, I just see Glisen's creek. Am I blind that I don't see it?

Best!

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 12th, 2020, 8:51 am

retired jerry wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 6:32 am
Maybe the name "Glisan Creek" was created relatively recently to resolve this confusion. Maybe it was created by someone on this website. That would be cool if that name has made it from this website to Gaia.
Yeah, pretty sure it was me who applied the name Glisan Creek in OpenStreetMap -- which is where Gaia gets the data for their maps.

(I put Gladd Ridge, Ho Rock, and Co Rock on there too.)

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 12th, 2020, 9:01 am

Openminded2 wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 7:06 am
Thanks Jerry, That would resolve the confusion, but why isn't the tougher cross, the upper Ladd's Creek on the map you posted, I just see Glisen's creek. Am I blind that I don't see it?
I think part of the problem here is that Gaia is using a combination of current OSM data and old USGS data. The USGS data includes "glaciers"/snowfields that don't exist anymore, and I think they're visually overriding the creeks.

Attached is an OpenStreetMap view of the area. The Glisan and Ladd crossings are clearly visible, and marked with "ford" icons (which are a bit obscured by the fact that I highlighted the Timberline Trail).
Attachments
Eden Park.jpg

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 12th, 2020, 9:20 am

yeah, that's what I thought, you're now famous Adam :)

Openminded2

Post by Openminded2 » October 22nd, 2020, 9:46 pm

adamschneider wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 9:01 am
Attached is an OpenStreetMap view of the area. The Glisan and Ladd crossings are clearly visible, and marked with "ford" icons (which are a bit obscured by the fact that I highlighted the Timberline Trail).
Wow, that is crystal mountain stream clear! Thank you!