tech rescue training sites

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
virginiakrakowiak

tech rescue training sites

Post by virginiakrakowiak » October 1st, 2020, 11:35 am

Hello Hikers!

My name is Virginia, I am the team leader of OHSTAR, the Oregon Humane Society Technical Animal Rescue team. We train monthly, and often are doing mock rescues with full gear rollout, and high angle rope rescues with weighted dummy dogs, etc. We have been looking for some new training spots, and scouting where we can. I'm looking for something very specific. An accessible area on trail, with a high to mid angle drop, and still water at the bottom, so we can practice using our inflatable kayaks once we lower our rescuers down. It is important that it is still water, as we are not swift or slack water trained.

Within an hour from the Portland Metro area if able, and within 5 miles from a trailhead would be ideal.

We are not looking for any help scouting, as we do not want people going off trail, investigating edges or slopes, etc to "check it out". This post request is only to pick your brains if there is a spot you might already have in mind that you think would match those parameters. I've exhausted my SAR/TECH/HIKER friend resources for suggestions, it is very specific and no one is coming up with anything as of yet! Already done devil's punchbowl so other than that, fire away!

We hope everyone is having a nice fall and being safe out there and keeping those dogs on leashes! Many don't realize that dogs do not have a good gauge on what is on the other side of an edge, they might hear water or they might just be curious, and they are gone before you know it.

If you have any questions about the team, or are interested in joining. Please check us out on social media or on the ohstar page https://www.oregonhumane.org/services/e ... al-rescue/.
Attachments
ohstar2.jpg
ohstar1.jpg
Last edited by virginiakrakowiak on October 1st, 2020, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leiavoia

Re: tech rescue training sites

Post by leiavoia » October 1st, 2020, 2:53 pm

How far are you willing to travel
... by car?
... on trail?

virginiakrakowiak

Re: tech rescue training sites

Post by virginiakrakowiak » October 1st, 2020, 2:57 pm

By car within an hour from Portland metro area would be ideal. And we can hike in I would say up to 5 miles for a training day.