Tatoosh trailheads road conditions

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
johnspeth

Tatoosh trailheads road conditions

Post by johnspeth » September 2nd, 2020, 8:29 am

The Tatoosh Ridge and Lakes area gets light use. There are two trailheads: an east and west. Does anybody have any information of the suitability of the roads to the trailheads for small cars (like a Honda Civic)?

drm

Re: Tatoosh trailheads road conditions

Post by drm » September 2nd, 2020, 9:24 am

I have not been there but both trailheads have a reputation for being rough. I've never seen them described as high clearance, just potholed. If you are patient and willing to take it very slow, you should make it. The problem with potholes is you get a smooth section and speed up and then there is a big pothole in the shade that you don't see until it's too late. Bam. A recent WTA trip report says "The road to the trailhead is in decent shape - the last 7 miles are unpaved with occasional sizable potholes, but I think any car could make it."

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » September 3rd, 2020, 8:17 am

I did the hike from the west trailhead in 2018 and I don't remember the road being horrible.

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » September 23rd, 2020, 6:18 am

I hiked to Tatoosh via the north trailhead recently. I can confirm the 7 mile road is in excellent shape compared to the average Forest Service gravel road. There are potholes but most are small and avoidable. I drive a Honda Civic.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 23rd, 2020, 10:00 am

I drove a Civic to Tatoosh Range once. Never heard of Tatoosh Ridge. Looks lovely, if my image search results are indicative. Good luck!

Kay Burton

Post by Kay Burton » September 24th, 2020, 6:25 am

As I heard, the roads there also depend on the weather. If it rains, there will be trouble. Maybe a hike, but after the rain you will be covered in mud from head to toe like no one knows who.

gorgehiker

Post by gorgehiker » September 24th, 2020, 7:25 pm

there are several recent trip reports on the Tatoosh Ridge trail including information on the road conditions for both trailheads on the WTA website (Washington Trails Association)