Road Access to Indian Springs (Primitive) Campground

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
sheilakpdx

Road Access to Indian Springs (Primitive) Campground

Post by sheilakpdx » August 20th, 2020, 8:42 pm

Hello,

I am looking for information to see whether the FS road that leads to Indian Springs (referred to as 'primitive' in some descriptions) campground is open/accessible or not. And, if anyone knows, are you able to provide driving directions? I tried to locate it earlier this year but there was quite a network of spur roads off 1310 and all were unmarked/unsigned. The area is referenced in https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Indian_Springs
It is FR 1310-660. I called the FS Ranger but the person there was unable to help me. When I was up on the PCT near there and crossing the road, the picnic table was still there and a fairly looking new sign was posted suggesting it was a campsite that required payment. My goal is to head south on the PCT towards Buck Peak and cut out the mileage from Wahtum to Indian Springs CG but I need to figure out how to navigate the roads to find the CG. Many thanks for any assistance.

drm

Re: Road Access to Indian Springs (Primitive) Campground

Post by drm » August 24th, 2020, 6:26 am

I've never driven there but I walked the road back to Wahtum once after taking the trail out. The road has some views of Hood that you don't get from the paralleling trail. That was a few years ago and I don't remember it being a problem then. As to directions, if you can get to the Wahtum Lake campground, just stay left right before. I think it's obvious from there.

But if you're using it for a pickup, you're probably going to want to do an extra trip ahead just to make sure all is well.

sheilakpdx

Re: Road Access to Indian Springs (Primitive) Campground

Post by sheilakpdx » August 24th, 2020, 9:12 pm

Thanks drm, I think a recon trip is in order...