Camping suggestions on PCT Mathieu Lakes to Sisters Mirror Lake?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Sfulks1

Camping suggestions on PCT Mathieu Lakes to Sisters Mirror Lake?

Post by Sfulks1 » August 10th, 2020, 5:12 pm

We (father /son) hiking the PCT SB from the Hwy 242 trailhead to Cultus Lake. I’ve been going over maps and looked at watering spots along the way. Any suggestions for camping spots between Mathieu lakes and Sister Mirror Lake? The rest we’ve got figured out with some fishing too. Any spots that are best to get water? Any spots on the map that may be dried up? We’re experienced hiking/backpacking but haven’t done this area. Thanks for any help/suggestions.

buckwheat

Re: Camping suggestions on PCT Mathieu Lakes to Sisters Mirror Lake?

Post by buckwheat » August 10th, 2020, 5:32 pm

The whole area is gorgeous. I have a trip report from last summer about hiking from Obsidian down to South Sister which will cover most of this area, if you want to look at any of it.

There is great camping at Eileen Lake, its about a mile off the PCT. Tremendous views of the 3 sisters, and you're sort of on an elevated hillside to get great views. I think you take the Linton Meadow Trail to it (M 1969.5) That would be about a 13-14 mile day from LavaLakeCamp/Matthieu Lk TH.

If you don't want any off PCT hiking, which I understand - I camped at Reese Lake (M1966.5), and it was buggy and damp and in a depression so it stayed cold. I'd recommend against it. I also camped near the Foley Ridge Trail junction (M1968), it wasn't near water, but it was great in all other regards.

Good camping in the meadows near M1963. Its the last water before crossing the Wickiup plain that is a couple miles of dry rocky dustyness.

Down near Sisters Mirror Lake (M1959) there are a ton of lakes and places you can hide away a tent if you want but there is going to be a lot more people there.

Horse Lake is ~4 miles off the PCT but is huge and undercamped. I haven't explored the area between M1954 and Cultus, but I am sure there will be great sites, but that area between South Sister and Waldo Lake is notoriously buggy, so if you do camp, I recommend finding somewhere somewhat exposed with more wind as it will keep the bugs to a minimum.

Sfulks1

Post by Sfulks1 » August 10th, 2020, 6:18 pm

This is great!! Thank you. I just checked out your previous post. Great information and pictures. Thank you again.

trailmasterp

Post by trailmasterp » August 14th, 2020, 7:27 pm

Husband Lake is another option for you. A friend and I camped there several years ago. I wouldn't say it was great, but it was a perfectly fine place to spend a night. Here is my trip report:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22338&p=169776#p169776

I recall thinking that both Eileen Lake and Linton Meadows would be very nice places to camp, too.