Circumnavigate Mt. Adams

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
erbombla

Circumnavigate Mt. Adams

Post by erbombla » August 7th, 2020, 9:19 am

Has anyone circumnavigated Mt. Adams? I would be interested in reading trip reports and recommendations. Thanks!

Aimless

Re: Circumnavigate Mt. Adams

Post by Aimless » August 7th, 2020, 9:54 am

It has been done occasionally, but it involves a very long, rugged cross-country traverse with at least one difficult and dangerous river crossing. If you got in trouble and needed rescue, it would require a helicopter as the only possible means of lifting you out. Most importantly, that very long cross-country traverse crosses Yakama tribal land and before attempting it you should seek permission from the tribe. Not a recommended adventure.

Maybe try circumnavigating Goat Rocks instead. It also requires excellent cross-country skills in very rugged terrain, but more of it can be done on existing trails and it can be done without trespassing.

walrus

Post by walrus » August 7th, 2020, 9:59 am

Aimless wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 9:54 am
Most importantly, that very long cross-country traverse crosses Yakama tribal land and before attempting it you should seek permission from the tribe. Not a recommended adventure.
Seconded.

erbombla

Post by erbombla » August 7th, 2020, 10:45 am

Aimless wrote:
...Goat Rocks instead. It also requires excellent cross-country skills in very rugged terrain, but more of it can be done on existing trails and it can be done without trespassing.
Thanks for input! Goat Rocks is on my bucket list and I mapped out a loop: https://caltopo.com/m/6G7E. I think I will plan to do it next week.

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » August 7th, 2020, 11:08 am

erbombla wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 10:45 am
Aimless wrote:
...Goat Rocks instead. It also requires excellent cross-country skills in very rugged terrain, but more of it can be done on existing trails and it can be done without trespassing.
Thanks for input! Goat Rocks is on my bucket list and I mapped out a loop: https://caltopo.com/m/6G7E. I think I will plan to do it next week.
Thanks for that. I've been looking at the same area.

Note: you can combine this and other connected loops into a 70-mile figure-8 or figure-88 superloop if you really aren't getting your adventure quota met.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 7th, 2020, 1:02 pm

I asked the Yakama tribe if I could hike from Cispus Pass to Surprise Lake.

They said "no". Nothing else.

I can see why they wouldn't want non tribal people on their land. We've taken most of their land and only left them a small amount.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » August 7th, 2020, 5:22 pm

Unless something has changed, which I doubt because it would require an act of Congress AFAIK, that long traverse across Tribal land is open to all hikers during the summer months (I forget the exact date range). You may need to get a parking-related permit from the tribe, and they ask that you only hike through, not camp, but otherwise, open access was part of the legal designation. Has something happened I'm not aware of?

Aimless

Post by Aimless » August 7th, 2020, 8:11 pm

The Mt Adams Recreation Area within Yakama land, which can be accessed, and the area Closed to the Public are shown on this map: https://www.ynwildlife.org/pdf/Brochure ... %20(2).pdf

As I read this map, there is not a path around the mountain which avoids the closed area that does not require climbing extremely high and crossing to the east side pretty near the skirt of Wilson Glacier. However, the map does indicate that the closed area doesn't actually touch the summit, so technically, it would be possible to walk around the summit without entering the forbidden area. To that degree, you are correct.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 8th, 2020, 6:41 am

That's interesting. I see Mt Adams recreation area is on my gaia map.

Bird Creek Meadows is in the recreation area, but I think sometimes the Yakama close it to non tribal people. The road has a 100 foot section where it's in reservation, non recreation area. Maybe that 100 foot section is what's closed, which would prevent access the rest of the way. The round-the-mountain trail gets to Bird Creek Meadows staying in the recreation area.

Personally, I don't care if it's officially allowed or not, if the tribal people don't want me to go somewhere, fine with me.

The round-the-mountain trail enters the not authorized area on the north end, at Devil's Garden. After about a mile it goes into the Mt Adams recreation area. I don't like to trespass on tribal land if it bothers them. Maybe quickly doing that mile would be okay. Then you're okay from there.

Beyond that there's about 5 miles off trail. That is very difficult. I haven't gone past looking at trip reports

pcg

Post by pcg » August 8th, 2020, 7:49 am

retired jerry wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 6:41 am
...Maybe quickly doing that mile would be okay...
No. Have some respect.