Best Sunset Hike?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Word Nerd

Best Sunset Hike?

Post by Word Nerd » August 3rd, 2020, 5:11 pm

I am in from out of town and would like to do a hike to get good sunset pictures, preferably with Hood in the shot. Can you guys recommend a good hike for that? We are staying in Rhododendron right off 26 for reference. We thought about Tom, Dick, and Harry or Bald Mountain - are those good options?

acoulombe

Re: Best Sunset Hike?

Post by acoulombe » August 3rd, 2020, 6:41 pm

Did Bald Mountain from Lolo Pass last week. It's a beautiful hike, about 6.4 rt. and around 1,400 ft. eg. I got to the viewpoint in the afternoon and got some great pics, but you are facing east, so you don't get the sun in the pic. I didn't get any of the sunset glow, but I know some go up to BM for the sunset pics.

https://hikingthenw1977.wordpress.com/2 ... o-pass-th/

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 3rd, 2020, 6:47 pm

The question is, do you want the sun setting behind Hood, or sunset light ON Hood? If the latter, then yeah, you can't beat Bald Mountain. Hiking there from Top Spur is much easier than from Lolo Pass. (And if you're feeling REALLY lazy, the view from Lolo Pass Road is nice.)

Tom Dick & Harry isn't bad, but then you're looking at the side of the mountain with ski runs on it, and it's not quite as majestic.

Word Nerd

Post by Word Nerd » August 3rd, 2020, 7:12 pm

adamschneider wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 6:47 pm
The question is, do you want the sun setting behind Hood, or sunset light ON Hood? If the latter, then yeah, you can't beat Bald Mountain. Hiking there from Top Spur is much easier than from Lolo Pass. (And if you're feeling REALLY lazy, the view from Lolo Pass Road is nice.)

Tom Dick & Harry isn't bad, but then you're looking at the side of the mountain with ski runs on it, and it's not quite as majestic.
So do you have a better suggestion? I probably prefer the sun in the picture setting behind the mountain.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 3rd, 2020, 7:45 pm

Word Nerd wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 7:12 pm
So do you have a better suggestion? I probably prefer the sun in the picture setting behind the mountain.
Then you'll need to find someplace to the east or southeast of the mountain, like Lookout Mountain or Flag Point. I'd recommend getting one of those apps that shows you the direction of sunset and sunrise overlaid on a map. ("Photographer's Ephemeris" is one popular option.)

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 4th, 2020, 5:58 pm

East of Illumination Rock, i.e. around the top of the Timberline lifts. You can get layer upon layer of shaded foothills along with alpine terrain. Admittedly, getting down after sunset might be slightly beyond what you feel comfy with.
Attachments
20170826_195807.jpg
20170902_185512.jpg
20170916_185830.jpg

Word Nerd

Post by Word Nerd » August 5th, 2020, 2:59 pm

We ended up taking the Tom, Dick, and Harry trail to the top of Harry, and we got to see a great sunset! I didn't realize just how many peaks we would see from that spot. We were able to see Jefferson, St. Helens, Rainier, Adams, and Hood. I would do this again!
Attachments
Sunset.jpg
Sunset Pano.JPG