North Fork Crooked Wild and Scenic River BLM land

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
acoulombe

North Fork Crooked Wild and Scenic River BLM land

Post by acoulombe » April 15th, 2020, 3:28 pm

I'm planning for a post quarantine backpacking trip to what looks to be a beautiful desert river canyon:

https://www.blm.gov/visit/north-fork-cr ... enic-river

However, I can't seem to find any trip reports of any kind for the area. Plenty for the Crooked River, but not for the North Fork Crooked River. Clearly the BLM has some basic info about the area, but not specifics in regards to trails, fishing, possible overnight locations, etc.

I know it is a popular hunting area, and I've read that the fly fishing is amazing, but I can't find anything of anyone's experience with trail access, etc.

Does anybody have sone information or experience with the area?

Thanks,
Andy

cfm

Re: North Fork Crooked Wild and Scenic River BLM land

Post by cfm » April 16th, 2020, 12:44 pm

Hi there, that looks interesting.

I visited the S Fork Crooked River and posted a TR. It was beautiful. We returned in 2016 and bikepacked thru the area, staying one night down in the canyon and one night on the rim. The cows were gone, the cow patties all dried up. Had fun exploring all the side canyons. Bedell and Pickett Canyon are particularly nice. Great bird life on the river, no humans. You should go for it! (and share with us afterwards)

We came in from highway 20 near Hampton Butte and the road was pretty rough, good 4WD needed.