Season for Umpqua River Trail?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
leiavoia

Season for Umpqua River Trail?

Post by leiavoia » February 16th, 2020, 7:12 pm

I’m looking for some longer early season backpack trips and the Umpqua came onto my radar. I would like to do at least part of it, depending on who I end up going with.

Does anyone know how early the route opens up? I would like to be able to get a trip in late March or April. I am not finding too much specific info from searching.

Thanks!

retired jerry

Re: Season for Umpqua River Trail?

Post by retired jerry » February 17th, 2020, 6:55 am

I frequently do the Rogue River. That is open year round although occasionally there's a lot of snow around. And it's frequently excessively rainy. You have to look at weather reports to find a good stretch.

I've been to the Umpqua a little. Similar route except there's a highway on the other side of the river. Should be accessible about the same as the Rogue

bghiker

Post by bghiker » February 17th, 2020, 11:03 am

The Lemolo and Maidu sections of the trail are 4-5000+ ft so you will most likely have snow there. From Lemolo downstream to Toketee, there will probably be some snow. Lemolo Lake Resort does a lot of winter recreation so some of the trail may be heavily snowshoed. You could call the resort and ask them about that. Everything downstream from Toketee Falls trailhead should be snow free or close to it but, as Jerry said, it runs just on the other side of the river from the highway. It is very pretty through there but not exactly "backcountry". Another thing to be aware of, there was a major fire in that area a couple years ago. The trail is open as far as I can tell but I am not sure how much of it is in the burned area. The forest service brochure is here:

https://www.blm.gov/or/districts/rosebu ... quatrails/

The Rogue River trail is an alternative but is definitely a different river as far as scenery goes. I personally prefer the North Umpqua area...

drm

Post by drm » February 20th, 2020, 7:32 am

I've long thought of doing the Umpqua as an early season alternative to the Rogue. It's not as remote and wild, but presumably early season you can get a shuttle one direction so not have to do an out-and-back like you would the Rogue early season before the rafter shuttles start up. Does anybody have experience in paying for shuttles there?

Bghiker - why do you prefer it? More services? The shuttle? I get the impression the Umpqua might be a more lush PNW rainforest, while the Rogue, being so hot and dry in the summer, is strangely (to me) more like an east-side Cascade forest, except for the most western sections.

bghiker

Post by bghiker » February 22nd, 2020, 1:30 pm

drm wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 7:32 am
Bghiker - why do you prefer it? More services? The shuttle? I get the impression the Umpqua might be a more lush PNW rainforest, while the Rogue, being so hot and dry in the summer, is strangely (to me) more like an east-side Cascade forest, except for the most western sections.
I think you hit the nail on the head...The Umpqua is much more green and there are a lot of waterfalls both on the trail and in the vicinity. Having Mt. Thielsen at the end and the hot springs along the way doesn't hurt either. I've not looked into the shuttle much as I have lived locally and have done most of it as day hikes. There are definitely more services available and I would think it wouldn't be too hard to arrange a ride from one end to the other. If you were to hike west to east you could stay a night at Diamond Lake Resort and arrange a ride from there back to the trailhead.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 22nd, 2020, 2:31 pm

To me, Rogue is a winter trip. Yeah, it's almost deserty. Hot in summer.

It's downstream from Grants Pass/Medford which get very hot in the summer. Maybe Rogue gets a little more ocean influence so a bit cooler.

ghsmith76

Post by ghsmith76 » March 17th, 2020, 7:15 am

I'm looking to do the Rogue River Wild Rogue Loop next week, but the weather doesn't look great. Yes, ticks are bad. Here is a trip report from this time 2 years ago https://adventurecontinues.org/2018/03/ ... rave-creek

I did the Wild Rogue Loop in May which is probably the end of the easy water access window https://adventurecontinues.org/2016/05/ ... rogue-loop
GHSMITH76
Blog:AdventureContinues.org