Has anyone seen Camp Blossom?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
kepPNW

Re: Has anyone seen Camp Blossom?

Post by kepPNW » December 19th, 2019, 10:54 am

justpeachy wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 8:23 pm
That was known as the Timberline Cabin and it was built at Camp Blossom in 1916. It was primarily used by skiers and climbers. According to this book the cabin was "about one-half mile west of Timberline Lodge in an area near current ski runs." That makes sense because when you hike the Timberline Trail west from the lodge you'll pass a small sign on a tree (below) and near that sign is an old stone foundation.
BigBear wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 9:35 am
The Blossom Cabin with which I am familiar is the old ranger station where the Blossom Trail and the Timberline Trail meet (about a 0.6 mile from Timberline Lodge). There are a few stones remaining at this site.
Just adding a couple current photos taken in July this year...

And the location...
Capture.JPG
Camp Blossom
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » December 22nd, 2019, 9:01 pm

Back in the 80s I hiked/skied up from Gov Camp with my fellow scouts to a cabin where we spent the night, presumably pretty close to Timberline Trail, a bit west of Timberline Lodge. I don't recall great views of the mountain, so maybe it wasn't quite that high, or maybe it was cloudy. I've assumed that cabin was long gone. I thought it might be Timberline Cabin, but a pic above suggests its demise was much earlier. Any thoughts on where my cabin might have been?

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » December 22nd, 2019, 9:42 pm

Chip Down wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 9:01 pm
Back in the 80s I hiked/skied up from Gov Camp with my fellow scouts to a cabin where we spent the night, presumably pretty close to Timberline Trail, a bit west of Timberline Lodge. I don't recall great views of the mountain, so maybe it wasn't quite that high, or maybe it was cloudy. I've assumed that cabin was long gone. I thought it might be Timberline Cabin, but a pic above suggests its demise was much earlier. Any thoughts on where my cabin might have been?
Phlox Point Cabin?

https://www.timberlinelodge.com/lodge/dining wrote:Phlox Point Cabin was built in 1930 and has served as a warming hut for the Timberline Ski Club, a USFS summer guard station, and for more than 60 years it was an overnight shelter for Boy Scouts enjoying skiing and other winter activities.

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » December 22nd, 2019, 10:07 pm

Is this Phlox Point Cabin? 45.32424,-121.71620

This structure is inside the ski runs. I remember seeing it when skiing 1989 and 1990 at Timberline--a curl of smoke would be coming out the chimney--always looked inviting.

From Mt Hood, A Complete History by Jack Grauer 1975. Page 62:

TIMBERLINE CABIN

Near the head of Sand Canyon a cabin was built in 1916 by Lige Coalman for a Forest Service operating base at timberline. The cabin was used as a refuge from bad weather by climbers over the years. In the late Twenties skiers began to climb to timberline during the winter and use the building as a place to bunk. It was used a great deal by The Mazamas and especially by the Wy'east Climbers before they built their own cabin in 1934.

The area around the cabin was sometimes known as Camp Blossom, actually a confusion. Camp Blossom had been located at the end of the old wagon road, a little further east, named for early day visitor Judge Blossom. The camp had been a favorite camping spot of Judge M. C. George, a prominent member of The Mazamas. In 1907 George came up the road to find the camp jammed with the Sylvester mapping party of the US Geological Survey. Judge George just kept going and chose a site at Sand Canyon, which was known for a long while as Camp George. Later Timberline Cabin was built there.

Ron Thompson, Recreational Assistant at ZigZag Ranger Station stated that Timberline Cabin was built partly from the lumber of an older cabin at Camp Blossom, about a quarter mile to the east, on the headwaters of Still Creek.

A photo captioned: Timberline Cabin February 14, 1932 -- Photo Joe Leuthold shows the same cabin with diagonal planking.

Burnside.
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » December 22nd, 2019, 10:22 pm

BurnsideBob wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 10:07 pm
Yeah, that's it.

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » December 23rd, 2019, 6:45 am

BurnsideBob wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 10:07 pm
Phlox point cabin was released by the scouts and assumed by the ski area in recent years. I remember it used to be isolated from the ski area madness by a large area of undeveloped forest surrounding it (no ski trails close by). It's pretty flat around there so it got few wanderers during ski season. Then the ski area took over and turned it into a coffee store. Trees were cut, signs were erected, and a network of trails was built to direct the hordes to it. It's not what it used to be.

Swede

Post by Swede » February 5th, 2020, 3:33 pm

The Mt Hood Museum website has some interesting info about Camp Blossom and Timberline Cabin with a couple of photos. https://mthoodmuseum.org/museum-musings/