Re: Looking for a decent day hike

Post by adamschneider » November 6th, 2019, 3:31 pm

squidvicious wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 3:10 pm
adamschneider wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 10:41 am
East Coast Hiker wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 5:48 am
By chance, can you post the trail you mention. I got Mirror Lake and TDH, but lost at finding info on Ski Bowl. Thanks!
There's no official trail, but it's really easy to find your way.
Eeeeeh... This is not something I would encourage someone to just casually jump into, especially someone who knows nothing about the area. Getting lost would actually be quite easy if you aren't well prepared.
It's a ridge that leads to a ski area. Seriously, you'd have to try pretty hard to get lost there. :)

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » November 6th, 2019, 3:41 pm

adamschneider wrote:
And for god's sake, do the loop COUNTER-clockwise
Just reread this. Surely you meant to say clockwise? The whole point of getting there early is to get out of the Multnomah Falls section--and have some peace to enjoy the falls on the Larch Mtn trail--before all the people show up.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 6th, 2019, 11:04 pm

squidvicious wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 3:41 pm
adamschneider wrote:
And for god's sake, do the loop COUNTER-clockwise
Just reread this. Surely you meant to say clockwise? The whole point of getting there early is to get out of the Multnomah Falls section--and have some peace to enjoy the falls on the Larch Mtn trail--before all the people show up.
Nope, I'd never do it clockwise; those paved switchbacks suck and have zero payoff. I'd much rather climb gradually up along Wahkeena Creek. I don't care about timing, and in my experience, "all the people" turn around at the overlook anyway; the falls on upper Multnomah Creek are usually sparsely attended.

(Besides, if I was looking for anything resembling solitude, I wouldn't be anywhere near there to begin with!)

East Coast Hiker

Post by East Coast Hiker » November 13th, 2019, 3:54 pm

Late reply, but thank you all for your assistance. It was a quick trip, but I was able to hit Multnomah Falls on Thursday, and it was pretty quiet once I got on the trail.

Also hit Zig Zag Canyon trail just because it was convenient with my timeline and interest in the lodge.

Thanks again - sure do love the PNW.