Salmon River backpack questions

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
poppacouch

Salmon River backpack questions

Post by poppacouch » August 27th, 2019, 12:05 pm

I've not been on salmon river trail, but planning a trip with family. I'm hoping to walk in 2-4 miles. I'd prefer to camp a site that is unlikely to be occupied by other groups within earshot, but might be willing to give that up if the river access/swimming is really nice. Hoping to entertain kids with the river and possibly fishing. Also, prefer to camp at a location that will be without any car/road noise (pretend the road isn't a few hundred yards off)...

1. Is there AT&T has cell coverage anywhere along this trail?
... Logistics suggest we (adults) may be split up at the start and/or in the middle of our trip, so would be really helpful if could easily communicate where we are. Though I rather NOT have access to the world when getting outside, in this case, it would really help.

2. Anyone aware of good swimming holes, river access near any of the noted campsites?

3. Are campsites limited to those noted: Rolling Riffle and Bighorn? Or will I find other existing spots along the trail. Anticipate putting up several hammocks and a single tent, so don't need much flat ground. Hoping to start either on a Thursday evening or early Friday to get a shot a good campsite.

4. If push on to Goat Creek campsites, is there any river access? Seems that it is above/away from salmon at this point, so kids would only have goat creek to play in. How substantial is it? Just a trickle?

5. Any campsites worth checking on the Old Salmon River trail?

Thanks!

teachpdx

Re: Salmon River backpack questions

Post by teachpdx » August 27th, 2019, 12:40 pm

A few answers for you... I camp on the Salmon at least twice a year.

1. No. When I meet people out there I give a mile range (like 1.8-2.2) and they just look for my tent or me. The majority of the campsites are within eyeshot of the main trail. Or I will tie a distinctive ribbon or something to a tree along the trail near the site and tell them what to look for.

2. There aren't very many deep places for swimming, but almost any area can be waded and it's very nice.

3. There are multiple campsites outside the two main ones listed... there are probably around 15-20 established sites before the trail starts climbing away from the river (around mile 2.4).

4. No (easy) river access at Goat Creek. It's well above the river. Not worth the extra push, in my opinion.

5. No. I believe camping on the Old SR Trail has been banned, at least it was a couple years ago. There are signs up restricting camping along the road before the Salmon River trailhead, and the old trail follows close to the road.
instagram: @remyodyssey

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » August 27th, 2019, 12:48 pm

I would add that you should leave nothing of value in the car.
- Michael

poppacouch

Post by poppacouch » August 27th, 2019, 7:30 pm

Thanks for the thoughtful responses! Really appreciate the info, as it helps prepare with more confidence.
-Kelly