Looking for snow

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
jley

Looking for snow

Post by jley » July 18th, 2019, 8:36 pm

I'm playing tour guide this weekend for a couple people who've never seen snow. Sure, crusty July snow isn't quite the same as wintry fluffy stuff, but it's still snow, and it'd be fun to hike to a big snow field somewhere.

I know I could head up to Timberline and hike upwards from there... though, I'm not sure exactly how far we'd have to go.

I was thinking it might be more interesting (for me at least) to head up to Cloud Cap and toward Cooper Spur (partly because I haven't been up that way in a long time). Anyone been there recently, and know what the snow situation is? This time of year, it's melting fast, and snow levels are changing rapidly. We could hike beyond the shelter somewhat, but if it's all totally melted-out up there, I don't want to go on a wild goose chase.

Anyone who's been up that way in the last week or so have a recent report on the snow level?

Waffle Stomper

Re: Looking for snow

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 20th, 2019, 6:20 pm

I don't know about Cooper Spur but it might be fun for your guests to ride the magic mile chairlift up and walk down. They will find snow there. :)

https://www.timberlinelodge.com/conditions#webcams
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

jley

Re: Looking for snow

Post by jley » July 27th, 2019, 8:23 am

Thanks for the reply... just thought I'd follow-up a week later (my internet has been out - a real pain this week).

Anyway, I was aware of the Timberline conditions and the "magic mile", but I've been there so many times, and wanted to introduce these guys to more of a wild area, with fewer people, and no machinery all around. So, up we went to Cloud Cap / Cooper Spur / Tilly Jane... or whatever you call it.

Turned out perfect - 2 mile hike to a great view over the Elliot Glacier, and a couple small snow patches were just off the trail. It was a lot of fun to see these 2 guys react to the snow. I just jumped on there and started sliding around like no big deal. They approached it like a couple cautious cats - inspecting the edge, then tentatively stepping on board. It was a snow patch maybe 20 yards across, and will likely be all gone in a couple weeks. I would have passed by it without much notice. But to them, it was a once in a lifetime event. They'd lived 35-40 years and never seen anything like it. We took loads of photos they could share with people back home, and I'm sure they'll be telling everyone about their experience seeing snow for the first time. I think winter would blow their minds.