Looking to base camp and climb South Sister sometime in August/September. A couple questions about camps and routes...

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
hisdudeness47

Looking to base camp and climb South Sister sometime in August/September. A couple questions about camps and routes...

Post by hisdudeness47 » July 18th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Hey there, I'm looking to set up a base camp at either Moraine Lake or Green Lakes before summiting South Sister in August or September. Now, I know this is a popular hike and I don't much love hordes of people, so I'm looking to go on a weekday. Are these lakes still crowded with campers on weekdays? Which one has more private campsites? In your opinion, which is better? Are there other base camp options that I've missed?

For the actual climb, I'm guessing the Green Lakes route has a little more solitude than the South Ridge... Is that accurate? Does it matter on a weekday? Which route do you guys prefer?

Any tips or recommendations as far as doing this base camp and South Sister summit would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

dmthomas49

Re: Looking to base camp and climb South Sister sometime in August/September. A couple questions about camps and routes.

Post by dmthomas49 » July 18th, 2019, 5:48 pm

My daughter and I went on a Monday in mid-September last year. We were staying in Sunriver so did not overnight on the trail. We got a 7am start at the trailhead and took 5 hours to get up and 3 1/2 down. Weather was pretty gnarly with sideways freezing rain and clouds up until the summit. If you are staying anywhere nearby you can do it in one day.
D4F56631-B358-4CEE-A510-C7F5277CEF5B.jpeg
639B6317-535F-4B1E-8AD2-06DD9D6631CE.jpeg
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

retired jerry

Re: Looking to base camp and climb South Sister sometime in August/September. A couple questions about camps and routes.

Post by retired jerry » July 19th, 2019, 5:34 am

a place to camp would be west of Moraine Lake. Go a ways above Moraine Lake. Get water from the stream to the east of Moraine Lake. fewer people.