2 night-backpacking Trip Near-Ish to Portland

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
nate7488

2 night-backpacking Trip Near-Ish to Portland

Post by nate7488 » July 17th, 2019, 9:19 pm

Hi All,

Circling back on an earlier post - wondering if anyone has any recs for a nice 2 night trip near Portland (within 2-3 hours). Would love to hike in about 8-10 miles, set up camp, and head out for a day hike on day 2, then return day 3. Ideally something with views, that's not too buggy! Any recs appreciated. Was interested in Waptus Lake in Washington, but recent reports said bugs were unbearable. Open to Hood/St. Helens/Adams, or even farther east.

trailmasterp

Re: 2 night-backpacking Trip Near-Ish to Portland

Post by trailmasterp » July 18th, 2019, 9:34 am

The hiking distance isn't quite what you're seeking, but I would recommend Mt. Adams High Camp (also known as Adams Glacier Meadows). I have no idea what conditions are like up there now or when you are planning to go, but I think the area is pretty phenomenal for relatively little effort. I spent two nights there several years ago (actually, the same weekend that this trip report was posted: viewtopic.php?t=19820) and spent the middle day hiking all over the meadows and up to the meltwater lake behind the moraine. There were a number of dayhikers who came up from Killen Creek, but I think only 3-4 parties spent the night in what is a large area. Here is the hike as described in the field guide, too: https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... adows_Hike)

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » July 18th, 2019, 2:09 pm

I would recommend the Badger Creek area.

A good itinerary would be to go from the Badger Creek TH and set up camp at Gumjuwac Creek on day 1, do a loop with the Gumjuwac/Gunsight Butte/Camp Windy/Badger Creek trails on day 2, and hike back out on day 3.

The campsite won't have expansive views, but you'll get some of the best views in the PNW along the Gunsight Butte trail with a nice stop for a swim at Badger Lake.

I haven't heard any recent bug reports from the area, but setting up camp below 4000' along running water should be more of a benefit than a liability.
instagram: @remyodyssey

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » July 18th, 2019, 4:56 pm

Big Slide Lake in the Bull of the Woods Wilderness.
~1 hour from PDX.
6 Miles to camp.
Day hike to the lookout tower or any other surrounding lake on Day 2. (or swim or fish at the lake)
Hike out the way you came.

nate7488

Post by nate7488 » July 21st, 2019, 7:58 am

Hey, thanks everyone! Really appreciate the recs.