Wallowa River Loop and a pack goat?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
proxie

Wallowa River Loop and a pack goat?

Post by proxie » July 13th, 2019, 1:32 pm

Hi! Towards end of July I was planning to do a 5-6 day backpack in the Wallowa Lakes Basin. Route is pretty much out of Douglas Lorain's "Backpacking Oregon" book. Roughly it goes in a loop from:

Wallowa Lake --> Aneroid Lake --> Polaris Pass --> Frazier Lake --> Glacier Lake --> Mirror Lake --> Horseshoe Lake --> Ice Lake (Matterhorn)

I plan to do around 10 miles a day, if not more depending on how I feel. While I'm physically fit enough to carry my own supplies, I was wondering if anyone had experience with renting out a "pack goat" or something for a Wallowas backpack? They have llamas to rent in the Wallowas, but they are too far from the Wallowa Lake Trailhead. So was looking at the possibility of renting a goat. I

By no means would this be required for my backpack... it'd just be nice for a lighter load and also some pet-able company!

Aimless

Re: Wallowa River Loop and a pack goat?

Post by Aimless » July 13th, 2019, 2:44 pm

I did see a lone backpacker with two goats in the Wallowas one time, but only that once, and they appeared to be his personal goats. I don't think they carried much of a load and seemed to be there more for companionship than for practicality as beasts of burden.

Another time I saw two hikers in the Wallowas with a pack mule that I am certain was a rental animal. The day was getting on toward early evening, and they had proceeded about a half mile from Two Pan trailhead before the mule had slipped its load. They were in the middle of the trail, struggling somewhat ineffectively to lift the load back onto it and secure it. I felt a certain amount of pity for them, because they must have thought that having a pack animal would be easier than carrying their own loads, but it was apparent they were in way over their heads.

I'm not sure I'd want to take an animal into the wilderness that I didn't have a strong personal connection with and a fundamental knowledge of their needs and care in that setting.

proxie

Post by proxie » July 13th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Great anecdote, thanks. I don't plan to carry "that" much though to where I would have trouble securing a heavy load to a pack animal. Also ornery animals are also a concern. But if there was a place renting them, I'd hope the animal would be relatively friendly.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 13th, 2019, 4:20 pm

I just did that loop, that is, tried to. Did Polaris Pass okay but Frazier Lake, Glacier Lake, top of Lakes Basin had too much snow for me, but that's another story.

I don't know about any pack animals going over Polaris Pass, pretty sketchy. I saw llamas and horses. Maybe you could meet up with them halfway through and pick up the other half of your food.

proxie

Post by proxie » July 13th, 2019, 5:14 pm

Thanks for the info! Ok, good to know animals probably not recommended for some passes. This is sounding more trouble than it's worth.

On another note, are you planning to post a Trip Report soon? I'd like to hear it especially since I'll be heading down and starting the trek around July 22nd. Stuff like if you expect that snow should be gone by then, amount of people, amount of bugs, etc.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » July 13th, 2019, 5:24 pm

Never done it myself, but I've heard a few stories of trouble with stubborn llamas. I know there are places that you can hire to haul your stuff up and drop it somewhere for you to hike to, but that seems more appropriate for fat lazy fishermen :) who want to stay in one spot all week.

The loop you're considering is phenomenal. I personally wouldn't want to foul it up babysitting stock, but that's just me.