Skeeters Indian Heaven . . .

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Eric Peterson

Skeeters Indian Heaven . . .

Post by Eric Peterson » June 30th, 2019, 10:42 am

Does anyone have current skeeter beta for the Indian Heaven area?

Might be mostly using the PCT anyway, skeeters traditionally just hanging out near all the lake portions of the area anyway?

Thanks in advance

drm

Re: Skeeters Indian Heaven . . .

Post by drm » July 1st, 2019, 6:42 am

Got a send-hand report a few days back from a PCT thru-hiker that they were really bad in the southern part around Green and Sheep Lakes. I don't think that they necessarily congregate around lakes. There really is no reliable pattern to where and when they are bad. They are or they aren't.

Walkin' Fool

Re: Skeeters Indian Heaven . . .

Post by Walkin' Fool » July 1st, 2019, 8:03 am

On Saturday (6/29), from the northern PCT TH heading south on the PCT, mosquitoes were generally moderately bad, but not too annoying if you kept moving. They were nonexistent in some spots. However, we scrambled up Sawtooth, and on the ridge out in the sun, they were some of the worst I've ever experienced. I thought it was kind of strange they wouldn't have been the worst down in the trees, but who knows. We also went down to Wood Lake, and they were moderately bad there. We stopped to have lunch there, but didn't linger too long. There's also quite a bit of snow going down to Wood Lake still. The lake itself is snow-free and fully melted, but probably half of the Wood Lake trail is under snow, with some patches being not insignificant.