McNeil Point overnight?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Matuas

McNeil Point overnight?

Post by Matuas » June 22nd, 2019, 7:29 am

I'm looking to do a moderately challenging overnight trip next weekend and was thinking of checking out McNeil Point. Has anyone camped up there yet? Is it too early?

On a related note, I've never camped above the treeline before. Normally I'd hang my food up from a tree to keep critters away - but what do you do if there's no tree?

Thanks!

retired jerry

Re: McNeil Point overnight?

Post by retired jerry » June 22nd, 2019, 8:02 am

probably still a lot of snow

but walking on it isn't that big a deal

there's probably a clear area to camp on

I camped on a clear area a week ago. Just past McGee Creek on Timberline Trail.

I've hung food from a rock before in situations like that. Tie line to a big rock and then loop it over the biggest boulder you can find so the food is well off the ground. If it's against a rock face probably critters can't climb up.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 22nd, 2019, 8:04 am

if you continue up the ridge, there's this flat space. I've always wanted to camp there. Nice views. Very exposed though so weather has to be good. I don't know if there's enough room to pitch a tent.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » June 23rd, 2019, 5:21 pm

I camped at your spot up Cathedral last night Jerry. Ha! You can pitch a one-man tent there. It was a a tad chilly in the breeze and fog at 35 degrees, but both days were awesome! All the camps on the ridge are snow free. The snow on the trail starts right at the Climber’s Route which is fundamentally snow free. If you loop around on the main trail it is about 80% covered but well tracked. It’s a bit exposed when you cross back over to the point up high though. But well tracked. Let me know if you have specific questions. Mike aka GoalTech.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » June 23rd, 2019, 5:24 pm

Oh...regarding food you could take an Opsack
To prevent the smelling of the food and then upgrade additionally to an Ursack Mighty Tite that will keep out all bears AND critters (it’s the mice that are the problem). I used an Opsack last night. You can get either or both at REI.

Mike