Lookout Mountain Rd to High Prairie TH

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
christabrews

Lookout Mountain Rd to High Prairie TH

Post by christabrews » May 29th, 2019, 3:13 pm

Does anyone know the status of Lookout Mountain road coming from Brooks Meadow NF-44? According to the NF website, lookout mountain Rd was closed as of 4/1. However, I'm not sure how up to date this is. Is it currently open?

teachpdx

Re: Lookout Mountain Rd to High Prairie TH

Post by teachpdx » May 29th, 2019, 3:24 pm

Back on 4/1, the FS stated the road was OPEN. This was crazy because the road is high elevation and other roads thousands of feet lower were still snowbound. About a week or so ago they updated it to CLOSED and said that it was snow-covered after mile 3, but left the date 4/1. It's actually more of a 5/20-ish update.

They must have received a few frustrated phone calls from people heading up that way thinking it was open, hence the clarifying update.

So it probably still has some snow. Maybe calling up the Hood River ranger station could give you some better insight.
instagram: @remyodyssey

christabrews

Post by christabrews » May 29th, 2019, 4:15 pm

I tried calling the ranger's station earlier today and got their voicemail. I'll try again tomorrow. Do you have any idea in general if this area is usually still snowbound in mid june? I have a backpacking planned for 6/13 starting from the High Prairie TH and now I'm wondering if I should choose a different location.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » May 29th, 2019, 4:36 pm

christabrews wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 4:15 pm
Do you have any idea in general if this area is usually still snowbound in mid june?
Lookout Mountain Road is about 5400' 3 miles up from 44, and that's where the snow line was a week or so ago. High Prairie TH is only 500' and 1.5 miles beyond that, so I would be fairly confident that the TH would be snow-free by then, or at least pretty close.

You're probably still looking at a decent amount of snow on the trails in the area, though.

It might help to at least have a backup destination, down lower along Badger Creek or something, just in case.
instagram: @remyodyssey

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » May 29th, 2019, 10:17 pm

For what it's worth, I went up there last year on May 30. The road had some snow on it, but not enough to stop my tiny Toyota Yaris. The west leg of the Lookout Mountain trail was mostly dry, but the east leg was pretty well covered almost all the way down to the trailhead.

But, last year the hills east of Highway 35 had quite a bit more snow than this year:

...so I think you'll be fine.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 30th, 2019, 4:42 am

Thanks for your snow map, I use it all the time

http://adamschneider.net/hiking/snow_depth.html

my only complaint is the colors are similar so it's difficult to tell whether it's, for example, "3.9 - 9.8" or "2.0 - 3.9"

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 30th, 2019, 6:25 am

The Shallow Snow Depth element makes it easier to distinguish those levels. It uses the scale below.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 30th, 2019, 6:59 am

yeah, there's another one like that too

but, adam's has the click on usgs topo so you can see where the snow is more accurately

I want it all - greedy entitled person

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 30th, 2019, 7:01 am

I don't see anything stopping Adam from putting the Shallow Snow Depth element on his map. :)

christabrews

Post by christabrews » May 30th, 2019, 10:53 am

Thanks for sharing the snow map!