Good Hikes Near Spokane?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
DannyH

Good Hikes Near Spokane?

Post by DannyH » March 25th, 2019, 4:35 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to be visiting friends in Spokane, WA this coming weekend. The snow level up there is still real low, but I'm fine with hiking in the snow as long as it isn't a highly exposed route. I'm going to stop and hike at the Deschutes River on the way Thursday, but should have all day Friday to get in a good hike. Any advice on fun hikes in the area?

Thanks,

- Danny
"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

candrus

Re: Good Hikes Near Spokane?

Post by candrus » March 30th, 2019, 6:31 pm

I used to live in Spokane and my favorite place to hike was Mt. Spokane State Park. Some trails are low elevation and some high so you get a wide selection of conditions and scenery. Less than an hour from Spokane.

Closer to town is Dishman Hills. The hike to the granite spires at the highest elevation can be done from the north or from the south. South is my favorite.

Even closer to town is Riverside State Park, which straddles the Spokane River just downstream of town. The trails around Deep Creek and Bowl and Pitcher are quite scenic. Best to go early in the morning before the dog walkers take over the area.

Charley

Re: Good Hikes Near Spokane?

Post by Charley » April 3rd, 2019, 7:23 pm

I hiked this years ago, in the summer. I'm sure it's a different story under snow, but I do remember the views being good! Best of luck.

https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/mou ... rson-trail
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.