Hardy Ridge Loop Hike? Snow? Ice? Risk of Falling?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
discodan7700

Hardy Ridge Loop Hike? Snow? Ice? Risk of Falling?

Post by discodan7700 » March 6th, 2019, 9:09 am

https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... _Loop_Hike

Looking at doing Hardy Ridge Loop hike this weekend.

I'm curious about the likelihood for encountering snow, icy trails, or risk of falling.

Thank you in advance,

Daniel

Bosterson

Re: Hardy Ridge Loop Hike? Snow? Ice? Risk of Falling?

Post by Bosterson » March 6th, 2019, 10:01 am

There is generally snow down to the road in the Gorge, especially in the central to eastern portion. You would definitely encounter snow on Hardy Ridge, most likely a lot of very deep snow. Ice is probably not a factor at the moment due to the extreme snow coverage. You could potentially fall down a snow hill if you slipped. Snowshoes with a good crampon (eg, MSRs) would be very helpful.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

discodan7700

Post by discodan7700 » March 6th, 2019, 10:16 am

Bosterson wrote:
March 6th, 2019, 10:01 am
There is generally snow down to the road in the Gorge, especially in the central to eastern portion. You would definitely encounter snow on Hardy Ridge, most likely a lot of very deep snow. Ice is probably not a factor at the moment due to the extreme snow coverage. You could potentially fall down a snow hill if you slipped. Snowshoes with a good crampon (eg, MSRs) would be very helpful.
Thank you so much for the quick reply :)

Follow-up question: Do you think I'll have trouble getting to the trailhead with a big heavy pickup truck with 4 wheel drive?

discodan7700

Post by discodan7700 » March 6th, 2019, 11:26 am

***UPDATED MAP AND GPX 03-09-2019***

Per Bob at Beacon Rock State Park, the Hardy Ridge Trailhead is closed. I have updated the previously attached intended route topomaps with a new updated intended route reflecting a starting point at the Hamilton Mtn Trailhead. I also removed the optional trail to Phlox Point due to potentially unstable snow conditions.

According to Bob, there is a connecting trail approx. 0.4 miles north of the power lines as the crow flies. But this connecting trail is not on the official Beacon Rock State park map, nor was I able to find it on Caltopo.

Starting from Hamilton Mtn Trailhead adds significant mileage to the hike. But no problem for me. I don't need to do a loop. At this point an out and back is fine; however far I get is fine. I will be happy to be outside :)

However, there is an obvious 0.5 mile off trail possible path of least resistance that would put me back on the previously intended Hardy Ridge loop without the substantial mileage penalty for starting at Hamilton Mtn Trailhead.

This is labeled "off-trail" and is colored yellow on the map below.

This off trail section is all in the trees, so, it may be a viable option. I may check it out when / if I go. An elevation profile is provided for this off-trail section below the map.

Selection_043.png

Elevation profile for **potential** off-trail section:

Selection_045.png

HardyRidgeFromAltTrailHead.gpx
(34.52 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
Last edited by discodan7700 on March 9th, 2019, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mountainkat

Post by mountainkat » March 6th, 2019, 12:33 pm

Some friends of mine hiked Hardy over the weekend. The snow was deep and they used snowshoes. They didn't go on up to Phlox Point. I am not sure what trailhead they used.

discodan7700

Post by discodan7700 » March 7th, 2019, 8:47 am

Hardy Ridge Loop trail is part of Beacon Rock State Park.

https://parks.state.wa.us/474/Beacon-Rock

Spoke with Bob ( 509-427-8265 ); Hardy Ridge Trailhead is closed. Hamilton Mtn Trailhead is open. He said My Big-Stupid Truck is not required. "Big Stupid" are my words not his. :D

I will adjust intended route and update my previous reply in this thread.

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » March 7th, 2019, 6:29 pm

From what I saw on Hamilton Mtn last Saturday, expect lots of snow. This afternoon, Silver Star got dumped on starting at about 2,500 feet. Phlox Point had a huge cornice hanging off the east side of the ridge. Don't know how well snow shoes would work on that trail, but I would certainly take gaiters & micro-spikes.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 7th, 2019, 7:24 pm

Here are a few photos I took on a Hardy Ridge hike 11 years ago March 30th. There is lots more snow now but this gives you some idea of what you will find:

Hardy Ridge 033008

And, here is a photo of a cornice off the east side of Hardy Ridge from another hike. Cornices are likely even bigger now, but, again, this gives an idea of what's up there:

cornice on Hardy Ridge
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » March 7th, 2019, 9:13 pm

Here's my take:
You're a little early. Not much risk of falling; you'd likely give up because of deep snow. Wait a month, and watch for reports.

Pic below is from last January. Ha! Probably three feet of snow there now.
Attachments
20180128_145856.jpg

discodan7700

Post by discodan7700 » March 9th, 2019, 7:52 pm

thanks everyone!

I may still go check it out tomorrow or Monday. If I do... I'll bring big MSR snowshoes ( not the smaller red ones ), and gaiters, and microspikes.

I'll stay away from Phlox Point.
Last edited by discodan7700 on March 9th, 2019, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.