Govt Shutdown Impact Updates (and ? about Nordic Shelters)

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Metacomet

Govt Shutdown Impact Updates (and ? about Nordic Shelters)

Post by Metacomet » January 9th, 2019, 9:50 am

So with the Government Shutdown, ranger stations and usfs services are not operating. Has anyone noticed shutdown impacts that others should be aware of before heading out?

ALSO. Does someone know when USFS annually stocks firewood at the Nordic shelters?
Realizing now that it's possible they didn't get around to it due to the shutdown and I have plans on taking a group to the shelter along santiam pass.

jessbee

Re: Govt Shutdown Impact Updates (and ? about Nordic Shelters)

Post by jessbee » January 9th, 2019, 12:48 pm

Regarding ski shelters, that's done primarily by volunteers. I know in the Bend area the Central Oregon Nordic club is responsible and firewood stocking is done in the summer.

Locally, the FS is still maintaining the restrooms at the Snow parks along Cascades Lakes highway but I'm not sure about Santiam pass.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » January 9th, 2019, 7:43 pm

People who booked lookouts and cabins are having their reservations canceled.

Trash cans are overflowing, apparently. Friends of the Gorge sent this out, along with a discouraging and disappointing photo from Tamanawas Falls Trailhead.

jessbee

Post by jessbee » January 9th, 2019, 9:52 pm

justpeachy wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 7:43 pm
People who booked lookouts and cabins are having their reservations canceled.

Trash cans are overflowing, apparently.
Yes, I got my lookout reservation cancelled two days before our stay. And as for the trash thing, people totally suck. How hard is it to just put your trash in the car and take it home. Completely insane.

That being said, all the snow parks and ski areas I've been to in central Oregon through the shutdown are very well maintained.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 10th, 2019, 6:54 am

maybe some animal pulled trash out?

maybe some human animal pulled trash out looking for stuff?

maybe out of some sci fi story when the authorities withdraw and everyone goes crazy because there are no authorities enforcing rules? :)

Guy

Post by Guy » January 10th, 2019, 10:45 am

I agree people have no business leaving their trash behind whether there is a government shutdown or not.

The photo does not make sense though as the bin is empty so if the implication that people were just throwing the trash on the floor it's a false one.

Is this trash picked up by Federal employees or contracted out to a private company does anyone know? If contracted out then there is no reason for this mess unless USFS deliberately cancelled the service for the duration of the shutdown.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Aimless

Post by Aimless » January 10th, 2019, 11:41 am

there is no reason for this mess unless USFS deliberately cancelled the service for the duration of the shutdown.

I think you have this wrong. The USFS has no control over this, since they have no money to pay for those services when Congress fails to appropriate any.

News stories about the shutdown frequently emphasize that contractors will not be paid for any work they do during the shutdown and, unlike federal employees, contractors have far less assurance they might be paid retroactively at some future date, when presumably a funding bill has passed Congress and either Trump has signed it, or else Congress has overridden his veto (fat chance of that).

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » January 10th, 2019, 11:49 am

Guy wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 10:45 am
The photo does not make sense though as the bin is empty so if the implication that people were just throwing the trash on the floor it's a false one.
It's explained in the link I included. The trash wasn't being emptied so animals got into it and spread it around, then it froze to the ground. A hiker and her friends took the time to clean it up.

Guy

Post by Guy » January 10th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Aimless wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 11:41 am
there is no reason for this mess unless USFS deliberately cancelled the service for the duration of the shutdown.

News stories about the shutdown frequently emphasize that contractors will not be paid for any work they do during the shutdown and, unlike federal employees, contractors have far less assurance they might be paid retroactively at some future date, when presumably a funding bill has passed Congress and either Trump has signed it, or else Congress has overridden his veto (fat chance of that).
This is true but if the services are contracted isn't there a good chance that the services have already been paid for at least for a few weeks? If not then I understand, I do have a lot of sympathy for contract workers as in the end these are the people that will really loose out.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Guy

Post by Guy » January 10th, 2019, 12:33 pm

justpeachy wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 11:49 am
Guy wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 10:45 am
It's explained in the link I included. The trash wasn't being emptied so animals got into it and spread it around, then it froze to the ground. A hiker and her friends took the time to clean it up.

Thanks Cheryl I was guilty of not clicking on and reading the link!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors