Ogle Mountain trail start (#3357), near Henline

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
johnspeth

Ogle Mountain trail start (#3357), near Henline

Post by johnspeth » December 7th, 2018, 6:20 pm

I'm hoping someone can advise with certainty the location of the the start of the Ogle Mountain Trail. It's trail #3357 described at https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/willame ... recid=4248. I hiked to Henline Mountain yesterday and then I tried to climb to the top of Henline falls after that. It was late in the day and I was not willing to risk hiking in the dark on a trail I was uncertain about.

Here's what I did: I parked at the Henline Falls trailhead and started up the old road. About 3/4 mile in, I found a trail that headed right and uphill. The trail was not marked but was clearly a trail that many people use. There is a red X sign on a tree to the right of the trail about 25 feet past that trail junction. The red X spooked me enough to abandon my plan and proceed on the more popular Henline Falls trail (#3348). I explored the waterfall and mine from the bottom. When I started my return trip, I started climbing the extremely steep scree covered trail that starts about 100 yards before the waterfall from #3348. I proceeded up for about 20 minutes after deciding that I'd get caught in the dark in an area in which I would not be comfortable in the dark.

I reviewed maps of the area when I got home. There are many inconsistencies in the maps and hike descriptions: distances are slightly wrong, signs are described but are really absent, the road doesn't follow the path shown in maps (hooks left on some maps and right on others).

So I have two questions:
1. Is the red X trail I found actually the Ogle Mountain trail #3357?
2. What is up that extremely steep scree covered trail that starts near the bottom of Henline Falls?

Thanks - John

bobcat

Re: Ogle Mountain trail start (#3357), near Henline

Post by bobcat » December 8th, 2018, 9:31 am

John,

1. Yes. Here's the Field Guide entry for the Ogle Mountain Trail, which is abandoned higher up:

https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... Trail_Hike

2. The user trail nearer Henline Falls goes to the top of the falls. From there, you begin the "Family Falls" scramble adventure:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15740

John