Lookout Mountain Larch viewing?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
DannyH

Lookout Mountain Larch viewing?

Post by DannyH » October 9th, 2018, 2:15 pm

Hi Everybody,

I'm planning on doing this loop on Friday
https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_gui ... oop_Hike

I'm hoping to see some larch trees turning yellow for the fall, does anyone know if this would be a good route for that, or if I'm off by a couple weeks?

Thanks!
"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

mountainkat

Re: Lookout Mountain Larch viewing?

Post by mountainkat » October 9th, 2018, 5:14 pm

Hi,

Yes, there are some larch trees in that area. It has been years since I hiked that particular trail in larch season. I do remember a bunch on the way to Flag Point from there.

A couple years ago, I hiked through the Badger Lake area and I remember quite a few larches around the lake.

There's also Clear Lake Butte Lookout, off of Hwy 26 on the way to Timothy Lake. I have even seen few yellow larch (not many) along Timothy Lake.

Last year, the western larch turned peak near the end of October. This year, it seems like they may be turning earlier but, I still doubt they'd be near peak by this Friday.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » October 11th, 2018, 7:56 am

I've only been over in that area during the fall once, back in 2013. The larches were perfect on October 20 that year.

DannyH

Post by DannyH » October 14th, 2018, 4:24 am

Thanks for the info, the next two weekends I'm out of town so I gave it a shot Friday. They might not be at peak, but it was a lot of fun to see all the yellow needles!
"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."