Old Frazier Mountain Road vs BotW Elk Lake Road Comparison?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
BassMasterK

Old Frazier Mountain Road vs BotW Elk Lake Road Comparison?

Post by BassMasterK » September 27th, 2018, 2:31 pm

I'm thinking of taking a trip up to the Roaring River Wilderness area and I have repeatedly seen warning about the Fraizer Mountain Road being 4 miles of horrifying travel. I have a 4WD Pickup with reasonably moderately high clearance and I recently drove into Elk Lake in Bull of the Woods to take my wife and son on an overnight trip to Twin Lakes. That road wasn't bad for me clearance wise, but the last 5 miles was slow and unpleasant.

I was curious if these two roads compare, or if one is clearly worse than the other in people's experience. I'm thinking of just parking at Shellrock Lake TH and adding some extra mileage just to not deal with another bad road, but would consider Frazier Mt Road if it is any better, or at least not worse, than the road into Elk Lake.

Any advice would be appreciated!

RobFromRedland

Re: Old Frazier Mountain Road vs BotW Elk Lake Road Comparison?

Post by RobFromRedland » September 27th, 2018, 4:21 pm

It has been a few years (6 or 7 probably) since I drove the Elk Lake road. But, I would say the Frazier Turnaround road is worse. It is VERY narrow in spots and has LOTS of big potholes. You could easily get there in a 4WD rig, but it is still a slow and bumpy 4.4 miles. Going in from Shellrock adds about a mile and a half each way and about 1500' of elevation gain, but the road to Shellrock is really good gravel.

Maybe my perception is different because I've driven the Frazier turnaround road more times than Elk Lake - I didn't remember Elk Lake being that bad. Frazier Turnaround is pretty bad - it amazes me the road still exists in places since it hasn't had any maintenance in many, many years.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson