Help Finding Backpacking in Oregon in June

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
rosshalde

Help Finding Backpacking in Oregon in June

Post by rosshalde » September 23rd, 2018, 4:00 pm

I am going to be in Portland for a family wedding in June and would like to make an extended trip to do a backpacking 3 or 4 night trip. I have called all over the state to different Wilderness areas and have essentially been told it is just too early because of potential snow pack. One guy recommended the Rogue River Trail, but not much else. I saw Wenaha -Tucannon Wilderness recommended on one website. Can anyone help me with suggestions for a 40ish mile trip in mid June. I am from NJ and would like to use my time visiting Oregon to make some memories.

texasbb

Re: Help Finding Backpacking in Oregon in June

Post by texasbb » September 23rd, 2018, 6:36 pm

rosshalde wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 4:00 pm
I am going to be in Portland for a family wedding in June and would like to make an extended trip to do a backpacking 3 or 4 night trip. I have called all over the state to different Wilderness areas and have essentially been told it is just too early because of potential snow pack. One guy recommended the Rogue River Trail, but not much else. I saw Wenaha -Tucannon Wilderness recommended on one website. Can anyone help me with suggestions for a 40ish mile trip in mid June. I am from NJ and would like to use my time visiting Oregon to make some memories.
Early June or late June? The Wenaha-Tucannon is perfect in early June; a little hot but still nice in late June. There's a nice loop you can do that connects parts of many trails. The most recent report I've seen is here, by byoc. I did a very similar, slightly longer loop in 2009, which you can read about here and here. There's been a fire there since my trip, and byoc reports the southern end of Smooth Ridge trail may be hard to find now, so byoc's route might be a better target? Either way, you'll be going through some burned areas (read byoc's report).

Feel free to PM me if you need more details.

Edit: Forgot to mention that, depending on where you are in Oregon, the Wenaha-Tucannon trailheads can be a pretty long drive.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 24th, 2018, 5:22 am

click on "field guide" then "winter and spring backpacking" - that has some ideas. Also look here for trip reports before your trip - some Junes there is more snow, some less

Rogue River trail is a good idea, but a bit hot them.

Columbia gorge can be nice but it can be rainy then - good to have an alternate on the east side of the cascades which is better if it's rainy.

Something like Badger Creek or the Deschutes River or Metolius River can be better if it's rainy. Wenaha can be good if it's rainy.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » September 24th, 2018, 6:25 am

Here is the Winter and Spring Backpacking page Jerry was talking about: https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... ackpacking

Also check out this guide for what to expect in each season: https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... _on_Trails

A lot can change between early June and late June, so that makes a difference. Also, while it is true that in a "normal" year June can be too early for backpacking, there is no such as normal here anymore. Climate change has turned everything on its head. This year I was hiking on bare ground (no snow in sight) at 6,000' in the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness in May. So you never know.

If we have another low snow pack this coming winter, as we did last winter, you may find some good options. It's impossible to know at this point. You may have to wait to make your decision until about April. In any case, even if you find some high-elevation snow-free trails for your trip, expect to encounter mud, downed trees (trail crews may not have been through yet), and LOTS of mosquitoes.

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » September 26th, 2018, 12:51 pm

As mentioned, June is a thawing-out month for higher elevations, so check frequently as you get closer to the date.

Some options that might be available in mid/late June:

Strawberry Mt (Eastern Oregon)
Mt Saint Helens (and surrounding areas. If the Loowit Trail is open, that will definitely make some memories)
Columbia River Gorge (parts of which are currently closed from the Eagle Creek Fire but may be opened by next year)
Steens Mountain (Eastern Oregon)
Rogue River or Rogue River Loop Trail (Southern Oregon. Better in May - will be hot)
Wenaha-Tucanon Wilderness (Eastern Oregon/Washington)
Bull of the Woods Wilderness (Near Portland, frequently overlooked, may have snow in June).

For better planning, see Backpacking Oregon and Backpacking Washington by Douglas Loraine