Mid October Backpacking

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
BakerSteve

Mid October Backpacking

Post by BakerSteve » September 21st, 2018, 10:18 am

This is obviously dependent on weather conditions in the next few weeks. I am looking for a 2-night (10-20mi.)backpack for mid October. I am open to most anywhere OR/WA maybe 3-4 hours maximum distance from Portland. My sister has never seen our beautiful state and I want to bring her on the best trip I can. Ollalie lakes area or Herman Creek/PCT both fit criteria (Elevation, Distance). Any other thoughts? How high is too high to hike in October? I dont know how comfortable she would be sleeping on the snow. Any input would be helpful.

retired jerry

Re: Mid October Backpacking

Post by retired jerry » September 21st, 2018, 10:32 am

I've done things on Mt Hood in mid October, like Cairn Basin or Yocum Ridge or Paradise Park. Just depends on weather.

If we get unusual snow something lower like Herman Creek.

If it's too rainy, something on east side like Badger Creek or Metolius River.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » September 21st, 2018, 11:04 am

Snow tends to fall and melt in cycles during mid-October. It doesn't usually stay around and accumulate much, if any, below 5500 feet, but it might fall as low as 3000 feet and can stick around for several days and be rather sloppy as it melts. Be ready for cold nights regardless. Check out justpeachy's recent trip report on Carl Lake and Table Lake. It would be a great hike if the weather is above average.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 21st, 2018, 5:34 pm

BakerSteve wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 10:18 am
How high is too high to hike in October? I dont know how comfortable she would be sleeping on the snow.
It sounds like you're open to the possibility of going high if conditions allow. As your trip approaches, start checking the cameras at Timberline and Meadows ski resorts on Hood. This will give you a sense of how high you can go without encountering snow.

If you have a set date for the trip, I recommend an eastern Plan B, a drier place where you can escape (or minimize) rain.

If conditions allow, you can't do much better than a partial Timberline Trail loop (maybe even drop a car along the route to maximize the ground you can cover). It's a short drive, beautiful scenery, an iconic mountain that she'll be able to point to later in a car ad or whatever and say "I camped there".

Charley

Post by Charley » September 22nd, 2018, 7:00 pm

Chip Down wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 5:34 pm
It sounds like you're open to the possibility of going high if conditions allow. As your trip approaches, start checking the cameras at Timberline and Meadows ski resorts on Hood. This will give you a sense of how high you can go without encountering snow.

If you have a set date for the trip, I recommend an eastern Plan B, a drier place where you can escape (or minimize) rain.

If conditions allow, you can't do much better than a partial Timberline Trail loop (maybe even drop a car along the route to maximize the ground you can cover). It's a short drive, beautiful scenery, an iconic mountain that she'll be able to point to later in a car ad or whatever and say "I camped there".
Nailed it!!! The fall is my favorite time for local backpacking trips: the weather and solitude are potentially at their finest. Plan for going big (high mountains, epic scenery) and have a Plan B (east side, lower elevation).

Have fun!

Mt Rainier, October:
mtrain037.jpg
Mt Margaret Backcountry, October 2013:
timberline354.jpg
Spirit Lake, Mt St Helens.jpg
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Schrauf

Post by Schrauf » September 22nd, 2018, 7:17 pm

As others have said it's often easy to backpack at 6k around here in mid-October. Just depends on getting a few dry days, and no snow a few days prior that hasn't melted yet. If you want classic spectacular NW, Mt Hood is a good bet - Yocum Ridge, Dollar Lake, Gnarl Ridge, Elk Cove, Paradise Park, etc.

I've also done an awesome trip from Muddy Meadows to the open plains above Foggy Flats on Mt Adams in late October. Check the roads, because recently the access up there was detoured (last year?).

Other ideas include Indian Heaven (4-5k), Mt Margaret (need a permit but probably easy to get for October), and Three-Fingered Jack. If you need to go lower due to weather, try Alder Springs (west of Redmond), Badger Creek, or Salmon River.

All these trips are very googleable. Also there are various huntings seasons going strong in October, so consider wearing a little orange flair.

walrus

Post by walrus » September 23rd, 2018, 6:28 pm

Chiming in on this as trying to decide a plan A/B/C for a weekend backpack in Centralish Oregon in a few weeks.... We do most of our adventuring further north, seeking new territory...

3 Fingered Jack Loop?
Olallie Lakes?
Green Lakes/Broken Top?
Jefferson Park? <-- Whitewater closed but otherwise open?
Someplace else awesome?

Charley

Post by Charley » September 24th, 2018, 10:16 am

That Three Fingered Jack Loop is doable as an overnighter- you could draw it out longer with a side trip or two. Keep in mind that most of it is burned. The area next to the highway is both burned and overgrown with shrubbery, so it was like a desert hike (with tall sagebrush). My friend and I did it last summer and her dog overheated pretty badly, but at this time of year the heat wouldn't be an issue. Canyon Creek Meadows was beautiful and unburned- the real highlight of the trip.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » September 26th, 2018, 11:31 am

Three-Fingered Jack loop is a great hike if you take the short cross-country trek up and over the 3FJ saddle and back down into the meadows area. I think this is a better summertime hike because then you can swim in the lakes along the way.

Next door to that is a whole collection of lakes that make for popular backpack trips.

If you want a classic "Oregon forest" hike with more conservative elevations, Serene Lake loop (Roaring River) and Big Slide Lake + Lookout (Bull of the Woods) are nice in October. I would not describe them as "the best the state had to offer", however.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » October 20th, 2018, 7:59 am

Well, it's mid-October. The weather has been beyond excellent for most of the month. I wonder where our original poster decided to hike?