Anyone hiked 3 Sisters Loop recently?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Shub

Re: Anyone hiked 3 Sisters Loop recently?

Post by Shub » August 6th, 2018, 2:51 pm

Oops, you are correct.

subra1228

Post by subra1228 » August 24th, 2018, 1:18 pm

Shub wrote:
July 31st, 2018, 8:31 am
I think I'm going to give this loop a shot Thurs-Sunday starting from Lava Lake going clockwise. I just did the Broken Top loop, so I'll cover a few miles of the same trail, but this has been on my list for a few years.
How is the loop these days? We're thinking of starting at Lava Lake on 9/4, going clockwise, and doing the entire loop. How's the water availability on the west side? Our only concern will be the nighttime temps - we have the gear, just brrrr!!! :D

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 24th, 2018, 1:31 pm

water just North of Wickiup Plain, a couple streams, Reese Lake, Sisters spring, Minnie Scott spring, South Mattieu Lake.

on the east side - Alder Creek may be dry, Soap creek, couple streams and lake to Park Meadow, Green Lakes, Moraine Lake.

just based on previous trips, I was there a month ago

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 24th, 2018, 1:32 pm

nighttime temps shouldn't be below 40 F, perfect time to do this

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... 4B7WOhKjIU

subra1228

Post by subra1228 » August 24th, 2018, 5:58 pm

Thanks Jerry ~ you are always immensely helpful!! :D

monioz

Post by monioz » August 26th, 2018, 11:07 am

I am wondering how bad the smoke is at Todd Lake and Broken Top area.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 26th, 2018, 3:25 pm

It varies from day to day or hour to hour

http://lar.wsu.edu/airpact/gmap/ap5/ap5smoke.html

current levels

Thuja

Post by Thuja » August 31st, 2018, 8:33 am

Last edited by Thuja on March 8th, 2019, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 31st, 2018, 9:06 am

I don't think I've ever seen water in White Branch. Maybe really early in the season.

Disappointing because that's in a long stretch without water, and the map says there's a stream there

subra1228

Post by subra1228 » August 31st, 2018, 10:24 am

Thuja wrote:
August 31st, 2018, 8:33 am
In case it’s still helpful - did the loop from lava camp trailhead from last Sunday evening to yesterday (thursday).

Water: Ader creek was running and clear. So were most creeks except White Branch on the west side (dry), and one of the Wychus forks on the east side (chocolate milk color). Minnie scott spring was running, more in the afternoon than the morning. Sister spring was flowing strongly. Had no issues with water, but also hiked long days and needed to fuel up less.

Fire: Since last year, there are many burns to hike through. Milli fire from the parking lot to the Pole Creek fire, whxih continues from there basically most of the East side. There is some intact forest around Mattieu lakes, which makes it safe to camp. The west side had the separation fire, with very black, very burnt forest. There were some safe/unburnt spots to camp around Husband lake and Eileen lake, and beyond going north. Not sure about the PCT, since we went down to Linnton Meadows. The mountain hemlock old growth still intact was heavenly. The east-side burn ends before park meadows, so if going clockwise, that’s the first chance for camping.

No bugs except one pinching bite by a horsefly near obsidian, which never manifested an itch.

Night temp were in the 40s. Though the first night was wet and drizzly, and that 40 degree night felt very cold and led to shivering. Over-prepare for cold temp, I’d say. Ran into a fellow hiker who had frost on his tent the previous Saturday morning camped a few miles from mckenzie pass somewhere.

Smoke was in and out. Two days very clear, blue skies, no smoke. And two days choked with smoke - all depends on the wind and precipitation. Terwilliger fire is the closest source.

Lots of straggling thru hikers still coming through in the PCT.

I suggest taking breaks near boulder slopes and giving a “meep”. Saw and heard many pika :)
Still some huckleberries to be had near Eileen lake.
Super helpful - yes!! Thanks so much!!